What are your opinions on vaccination?

My little boy is two months old. I was supposed to take him to the doctors for his first Hib shot but I didn't. I will do it tomorrow morning but I keep on reading about how dangerous some of the additives in these shots are that is scarring the hell out of me. Also all these sky rocketing cases of allergies and autism that a lot of parents contribute to the shots gets me really worried.

Do you think they might do more harm? Do you think that it could possibly be the big pharmaceutical corporations that don't let the research that shows problems with certain shots to come out there? Are we being to naive listening to our doctors and governments?

I mean my little boy got a Hepatitis B vaccine the night he was born as well as one for tuberculosis. Don't you think that is a little excessive for an hour old newborn to have viruses injected into his blood stream together with God knows what other metals these vaccines contain?!!

The more I read upon it, the more I flip out and by mentioning my concerns to doctors I get crucified right away for even doing the research! I do understand that immunization is very important for human kind so are the medical community, governments and pharmaceuticals sacrificing certain percentage of our children for the greater good?!

Plus from what I have read - there is always a less harmful substitute for the standard vaccines and it depends on the manufacturer - but how do I get that version of the vaccine when the ministry of health is the one ordering the vaccines no one asks the parents which one they want their child to receive! (I am not from the US but most of the papers and studies I read, come from the US)

He was given HepB at birth because that is the schedule they have here: HepB three doses 1. birth; 2, at one month old and 3 at six months!

The schedules and the vaccines differ greatly from country to country.

I have not immunized my daughter, nor do I plan to. I was fully immunized as a child and had all my boosters; and yet I still had mumps, pertussis, and rubella. I also suffered severe reactions every time I was immunized. I started getting my son immunized when he was a baby, and he also suffered severe reactions. He ended up in intensive care twice within hours of his first 2 vaccinations. I will not take the same risk with my daughter. I understand that in most cases they are a good thing, but with my children the benefits do not outweigh the risks. I also have serious objections to some of the ingredients in the vaccines, but it is due to my personal experiences that I will not

Well, we don't vaccinate now but we did up until 12 months.

My child is that rare one, he is that child who in the rare instance had an anaphylactic reaction to his vaccinations (his Dtap). However, he has severe Egg, Milk & Tree Nut allergies (and probably more that we don't know of). So his egg allergy is most likely the culprit for his Dtap reaction. But, we chose not to vaccinate any further because of this. Eggs are a major part of a lot of vaccinations and its too high of a risk for my son.

Had my son not had his allergies, we probably would have continued to vaccinate.

I have a friend who vaccinates at a delayed schedule....so as not to stick her daughter with three vaccinations in one visit.

I think you are reading a little too much into it thinking that the government, doctors and pharmaceuticals are out to get the world sacrificing whoever gets in their path (ok, well maybe not with pharmaceutical companies but I think with doctors that is a little much...).

Try doing this....really LOOK at all of the vaccinations and what they are for. Pick the important things that you think your child should get vaccinated for (ie- chicken pox) and do that. There are ways to do it little by little for one vaccination as well because that is how they would do it if they were to give my son his DTap vaccination again (they are scheduled again for that when they are 6). You can always pick and choose which ones are important that your child gets and then he is not getting loaded up with vaccines.

That is how it is in the US though, I know you have the option to delay it, to pick and choose, to do it all or not at all...however once they get to school age you have to file some hefty paperwork explaining why your child is not fully up to date on vaccinations.

• abid

definite vets can and a few will carry animals till fee is gained. regrettably many have had new purchasers say they might come back and pay and by no potential do. In maximum states Rabies vaccination is mandatory for ferrets, cats and canines to stay at a hospital even for ER therapy. i don't understand of any vets right here in OHIO that provide a rabies tag for a cat. many times that is basically a paper.

I'm not against any vaccination, but I don't easily fall from them, especially if it's untested. Remember what happened in the last swine flu fiasco in 1976 - 50 million were vaccinated with that untested vaccine. 21 deaths, 565 paralyzed, withdrawn in 10 weeks. Here's a great read: http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/book12/sanctity-of-...

• Lisa

You should follow your instincts as a mother, and avoid unnecessary medical interventions that scare the hell out of you. I did a ton of research before my first pregnancy, and decided to never vaccinate my kids. They are 6 and 2, and extremely healthy -- a lot healthier than their vaccinated friends. I'm very happy with my decision.

In the U.S., 1 in 110 kids have autism. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/index.html 1 in 10 have asthma. At the Homefirst medical practice in Chicago, they don't vaccinate their patients. They have 35,000 former and current patients, so at the national autism rate of 1 in 110, they should have over 300 patients with autism. They have none. Their asthma rate is so low that an insurance company contacted them to see what was going on. http://homefirst.com/info-1/vaccine-choice/autism-...

If you decide to not vaccinate, and the doctor starts to argue with you, just tell the doctor it is for religious reasons. I've heard that works well to shut doctors up.

• abc123

I'm torn as well, but have gotten my son all the vaccinations. I'm kind of "paranoid" when it comes to that kind of stuff, and I absolutely don't trust the government or FDA to regulate stuff the way they should. How many times have they let drugs go on the market, only for those drugs to kill people and be recalled? They're out to make a buck in my opinion. When we went to the doctors, we always receive a letter with info regarding shots and their safety and risks. Since there is no 100% proof that such vaccines actually do cause certain problems, I have leaned towards getting them because they can save my childs life. However, I am so proactive in looking at the latest research because the minute I hear something has been confirmed I will stop. I honestly think a lot of problems that are arising have a lot to do with environmental exposure to toxins (whether in shots or otherwise) such as lead, chemicals in our food, water, etc. I buy organic when I can and breastfeed. I test my water and get distilled if I have to for my son. I am careful of toys made with lead paint, any cleaners and such that my child is exposed to. I think a lot of the vaccine argument could be that these children already are pre-disposed to autism and such, and the vaccines do something to trigger it coming out- but I'm not scientist so thats just a theory of mine. So, I applaud you being careful, but like I said, for me the science isn't overwhelming to make me stop getting my son vaccinated.

The vast majority of researchers, even those who published the original study saying that there was a link, do not feel that there is a link between vaccines and autism (see link). More important, the mercury compound has been eliminated from most of the standard childhood vaccines.

Most of the childhood vaccines aren't so much for eliminating the disease in the population but to protect that individual, so it's not sacrificing the children for the greater good. It's a direction cost/benefit thing for the individual.

And, finally, remember that there are very few vaccines these days (neither Hep B nor TB) which are live virus, so newborns aren't having "viruses injected into" their blood.

After much research I decided not to vaccinate my boys. There are many reasons, none of which have anything to do with the Autism Theory (which I am not convinced of on either side).

In a nutshell, I believe that the risk of my children suffering a severe reaction to the vaccinations is greater than the risk of them contracting and suffering complications to the diseases themselves. Many of the diseases are mild and complication free in a healthy immune system. I believe God (or nature, if you prefer) placed natural defenses in our bodies to fight off these diseases and that it is in their best interest to keep these diseases at their best and allow them to do their job. Vaccinations, in my opinion, compromise those natural defenses.

I greatly disagree with injecting my children with, what I view, are toxins.

I also greatly disagree with their level of testing, as all vaccinations are not tested for carcinogenic or mutagenic effects, or effects on fertility.

Source(s): Mom to 3 happy, healthy, unvaccinated boys - 6, 3, and 1.
  • lala

Vaccinations have been going on for years and nothing that awful has happened. I did not let my daughter get the H1N1 shot today though because I felt it was too new and too many things have gone wrong with it. For all the other vaccines, I trust those because they have been around for years. I think they do more good than harm. Think about the plague and how quickly it spread. Without immunizations who knows what could happen. I wish they would bring back the smallpox vaccine.

My father-in-law was talking about a movement in Colorado years ago that was a more holistic approach. A lot of people did not get immunized which led to an outbreak.

I cannot believe your child was given Hep B at birth. My doctor waited until her 2 month appt to begin those.

Source(s): father-in-law was pediatrician now is in infectious diseases
  • ?

There is no solid proof that vaccination leads to autism, and yes some children can get side effects due to the live vaccines but so can adults who are travelling and need vaccines. My son was vaccinated and is perfectly fine. He wasnt given Hep B or TB though, just vitamin K after birth. Then others came when he was a couple of months old. Most babies get high fevers or some nausea after a vaccination but its nothing compared to the higher risk of whooping cough or polio. The numbers of serious side effects are relatively low. Personally I know of not one child (out of hundreds I know from friends, church and childrens church) who had any serious problem from vaccination.