? asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to hollow out a soft fleshy fruit?

What is the best way to hollow out a soft fleshy fruit, in order to make a hole inside big enough for a 6 inch tube... with a diameter of about 1.5 to go in and out of.

Using only the power of your mind

Depends on the soft, fleshy fruit. Is that 1.5 mm, cm, inches? I use a boning knife to make a "plug" hole in a watermelon for pouring in brandy or vodka. If you want it to go all the way through, look for a piece of copper tubing that is long enough, has not been used and is clean. Don't hammer it through. Use pressure and turn it while pushing. You might use an apple peeler-corer with the peeler part set away from the fruit. It drills through to remove the core.

Source(s): My source is my own experience. I've cored many apples that were too large for the peeler part with a peeler-corer, and used a piece of copper tubing to make eyes in a jack-o-lantern, holding a plastic ball against it from the inside to keep it from crushing the shell. I hope this helps.
  • Eileen

Depending on your purpose it may be easier if you freeze the fruit partially first. Not until it's rock hard but until it's firm enough to be cut without turning to mush.

• scrgrl

Use a straw. Just keep putting it through until you get the correct diameter.

• Ryan

cut it in half use a spoon to scoop out each side then put the two sides together. What are you going to make? is it some sort of sausage stuffed squash?

I'm guessing you only need it to be big enough for a 3 inch tube...

• a_g

are you planing on making love to this?

a long spoon

you've got to be trolling