Why do old people like gardening?

Like, when you're almost going to die, you would want to go out, see the world...live your life for the last few years, but why do so many just spend so much hard work perfecting the littlest pieces of their garden instead of doing something bundles more interesting? is it something with plants that makes them feel better?

Gardening is a way of making the world a better place, and it can be done at one's own pace, for the most part. I'm not THAT old, but already I have my good days and my bad ones. On my good days, I can go out and do things. On my bad days, I can't move because of the pain.

Homegrown fruits and veggies are incredibly tasty. For instance, commercial tomato growers are mostly concerned with how well their tomatoes will stand up to shipping, and how long they will appear to be fresh. All they care about is getting those tomatoes sold. However, a home gardener doesn't have to worry about his/her tomatoes being shipped. Those tomatoes will travel from the garden to the kitchen, and maybe be given to friends, but they won't be packed in boxes and shipped across the country. So a home gardener will pick a very flavorful variety to grow.

Also, not everyone LIKES traveling. I hate it. I'd be perfectly happy to never leave my hometown again. There are some people and places that I like to see, so I'll travel to them, but traveling for the sake of traveling has never appealed to me.

• Jeff P

Because older people have usually already done all the things that are important to them.

Time becomes more fascinating when yo udon't have much of it left, and taking the time to see things grow is a really rewarding pursuit.

Also it is inexpensive and doesn't take a lot of physical prowess. Old people don't usually have lots of money or energy to do things like travelling the world.

i planted flowers with my grandma every year as a boy now im 24 and i still love gardening! when its still a bit cold but the sun is so warm!!! its somehow fun and relaxing... better than painting, or running a drill all day. old people know whats good... some young ones listen!

According to my aunt, because in the summer she enjoys sitting ina garden out in the sun enjoying the view of all her own hard work.

is it something with plants that makes them feel better? yeah, they don't call you old . . .