Found an iphone, how do i unlock it so i can use it?

Ok, so i was out last night, but was finding hard to get into it because of afew things including my phone was broken and was bored at the place we were at. We eventually left where we went for a walk. Mid conversation, i spot something on the grass near a pathway where we were walking and, low and behold, it was... show more Ok, so i was out last night, but was finding hard to get into it because of afew things including my phone was broken and was bored at the place we were at. We eventually left where we went for a walk. Mid conversation, i spot something on the grass near a pathway where we were walking and, low and behold, it was an iphone. Crazy because my phone that I had before had been giving me grief for a while, it actually went haywire and called and ex-girlfriend by itself and would not hang up. So finding it kind of justified my crappy night out.

But any who, the iphone has a passcode i cant seem to get past, I've tried some obvious passwords like possible birthyears of whoever had it but nothing, still cant get through to it. I was curious to see what was on the iphone but i dont care anymore, i just need a new working phone. I dont know much about iphones, but all i know is that it is a 16G, 3G iphone. How can i get past the passcode? I've read that if i jailbreak the iphone, it'll get past the passcode. If so, how do I jailbreak it. Or is there somehow I can just restore factory settings? Keep in mind I found it, so I dont have itunes or any other software for the iphone to run.

Thanks so much.
Update: Also with being able to track down where tht phone is, will i run into any problems with that? Is there any way that i can stop it from being tracked?