Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Why is it that Women wear hats in Church but men take theirs off?

Favorite Answer

Consider 1 Corinthians 11:

"3)Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4) Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5) And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. 6) If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. 7) A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8) For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9) neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10) For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head. "

Never realised the Bible was so Sexist!

Women Wearing Hats In Church

I was taught that, during the wars soldiers came to church and removed their hats because they came in peace . So you wore the hat when you might be rushed off to do battle. However women became so particular that hats became a cover for a bad hair day,. Then again, when song books were done away with and songs were displayed on a screen and hats became so fancy that anyone who sat behind anyone wearing a flouncy topper would not be able to see the screen. Any way I Love my Lord but I don't like hats. If you want to wear one it's up to you. It's something like women wearing slacks and men wearing Jeans/ I only hope the day doesn't come when my Pastor shows up in the pulpit wearing shorts.

Women should have their heads covered in church for modesty reasons and men take their hats off as a sign of respect for God. It still remains a tradition in some churches. For more information have a look in the Bible: 1 Corinthians 11:4-5

• ?

There was a time when a 'gentleman' would wear a hat, but remove it when entering a building. In that same time period, it was required for a woman to wear a hat to church. I can't answer the synagogue question because I have never been in one. But from what I have seen, I would call those things turbans, not hats. Yeah, don't get me going on the pope.

• dixie

It all depends on the culture and traditions of different religions, i think its termed as a gesture of respect the women keeping their heads covered and the men taking their hats off . It is the same as "wearing your sunday best" to church, when i was growing up you always wore your suit to church, it was a sign of disrespect if you wore jeans and T shirt.

• _

Some women have a tradition of wearing hats in church, some men have a tradition of taking their hats off. Only old traditions.

Back in the days when Priests thought every Woman was evil, and pretty hair would then also be an evil temptation (basically because the Priests were afraid of their own shortcomings). They forced the Women to cover up.

It was the Priests that were frightened, nothing else.

Of course if a Priest succumbed, then he would declare the woman a witch and have her burnt at the stake.

So, I supposed it protected the woman.

It has just carried on.

The Men were allowed to take theirs off as a mark of respect, it also gave the fleas and lice an airing.

Strictly speaking that's how it should be and still is in some closed Brethren Assemblies. But while this is now not observed in most protestant churches (many women still wear veils to some RC churches) the men folks there still insist on the injunction, another of Paul's, that women should keep quiet in church and should not speak and be subordinated.

Apostle Paul made a direct order to the early churches as specific verse listed above. This comes from Genesis and myth that women would tempt angels from Noah story about Nephillim, the children of angels.

Interesting that such a specific order is completely ignored now a days by many.

It's following a biblical tradition.

In the Christian New Testament, in Paul's letter to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians chapter 11) it says:

"Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonours his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonours her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God".

Paul's views often follow Judaic law very closely -- not surprising, since he grew up as a Pharisee. Certainly, the instruction for women to cover their hair turns up in Genesis.

Interestingly, in some parts of the church worldwide, the custom is still strong for women to wear hats, but in others it has faded away. Yet it's still the custom -- at least in the UK -- for men to take their hats off in church.