promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEntertaining · 1 decade ago

Cheap Wedding Meals?!?!?

My fiance and are getting married in July. We are paying for everything ourselves. I would like some ideas on what we can feed our guests. We will have about 160 guests plus our wedding party of 10. so about 170. We want something easy, minimal cooking, delicious and something that will not break our bank. If you have experience that would really help too!! We have tried internet searches to no avail. any suggestions would really help! Also, if you have approx. cost per head of the meal with your suggestion that would be a bonus.

Thank you!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Here are a couple of ideas:

Baked potato bar. Yes it is very cheap but it is tasty and I Have eaten it at a wedding.

Baked potatoes

Chili

Sour cream

Broccoli

Broccoli and cheese sauce

Cheese

Onions

Bacon

Toastada Bar:

My MIL does a lot of these in her catering bussines. And they are always a big hit.

Shredded beef, chicken, and pork (in warmer with a bit of broth)

Lettuce

Diced tomatoes

Diced onions

Sliced olives

Canned sliced jalapenos

refried beans

shredded cheese

sour cream

salsa

pico de gallo

guacamole

fresh fried tostadas

and home made torilla chips made with flavored tortillas (spinach, tomato, and flour)

A nice chicken alfredo or carbonara with garlic bread and salad

How formal? You could do a back yard bbq style. Roasted pig, thten make your own potato, pasta, and fruit salad. Maybe even baked beans and coleslaw.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 years ago

Take the money! Not having to prepare the meal will be one less stressor on you, and you can tell the well-wishers ;-) that "We have decided to go with Smith Catering and this is what we were offered." You could also get some bakery buns from HyVee if people want to slap the meat onto a sandwich. I would probably go with the two meat choices, but that's up to you. If you think people will like the one meat choice, then do that. There's no reason you need three sides and it will free up some budget for the cake(s) you really like and a nice variety of drinks. My brother in law and sister in law, from a Dutch family in next county west of you, just had plated meals brought out with a hot ham and cheese bun and sides -- I don't even remember what they were -- and it was fine. I kind of wanted a second bun, but it really was no issue. Then they had a glorious cake.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well have you booked the venue?if its a hall and your caterers well ask th family they will be more than happy to all muck in and do not forget to feed nearly 200 people will be a lot? and make it like a buffet it will be great and do not worry get the cooks and organisers that means you will have some money for wine and a few toasts the 10 wedding party could go for a meal and the photos whilst the others are going to get organised to set up and have the buffet for later a wee dance some music Karaoke do not forget its the day and night you have for your future with all the family and friends getting tor in to help never mind the fixtures and fittings all th best and have a ball the last song is for everyone helping?

• 1 decade ago

Are you doing the cooking yourselves and what kind of facilities do you have access to? Will there be a kitchen on site with a stove or oven or will you only have a barbeque? Do you have access to crock pots or slow cookers (maybe 10 or so)? Do you have access to a Food Saver? Will there be running water? Will it be a breakfast reception, a lunch, or a dinner, or maybe just cake and punch? Is it to be buffet or will you have servers for a sit down meal? Do you have a big freezer or friends with freezer space that you can use for the next few months? If you can give some more information about the timing, facilities, type of meal, and your budget, I would be happy to help.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

With the economy as it is, a new form of reception is starting to take on a life of its own. Either an appetizer or a dessert reception. My son is getting married in Sept. and that is what we're planning. The only concern is to make sure you don't hold the reception during a dinner hour. Usually mid to late afternoon or after 7pm. On the invite, you need only say you are cordially invited to a dessert reception (or whatever you are planning) after the ceremony. Your wedding cake needn't be gigantic because there are so many other things to choose from. Make sure you have savory as well as sweet, hence the appetizer slant on the party.

• 1 decade ago

I second the baked potato bar idea. Or go with a dish that is more pasta than meat - enough meat to fool the diner into thinking he is eating more meat that he actually is. There are so many variations of meat sliced over pasta/rice You might go with an ethnic food theme, too.

Assuming you will be serving alcohol, you can cut costs by only offering beer and wine - no hard liquor.

• 1 decade ago

In our neck of the woods barbeque is king. At my son's wedding we had ,smoked beef brisket as well as barbecued chicken, pinto beans, green beans , coleslaw, and potato salad. garlic bread. Yum!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My wife had a candy buffet and place these cool paper vases on every table. The vases had these heart shaped clear suckers. Everyone at our wedding sure like them. Here is a link to where we bought them: http://www.nationwidecandy.com/snacks/items/BLS-VS...

• 1 decade ago

deffinianentially do any itallian food you can get a big order of past lasagnia or salad for dirt cheap

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sandwich dip fruit cake

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.