My employer says I won't get any salary increase in my current role but my colleagues will. Is that legal?

I've worked for the company for over 10 years and joined when times and salary were good. Now my employer is doing a "salary alignment" and tells me I won't get any increase (including cost of living), but others in my department will still do so. Apparently, I am at the "top of my band", but they won't show me this in writing. I'm told the only way to get an increase is to apply for another role within the company or get another job. My performance record has always been recorded as good or great and I'm told this has nothing to do with my work quality. Can they legally do this?

Update:

Just want to add/concentrate on the "cost of living" aspect. If everyone else in my department gets a cost of living (i.e. 2 or 3%) increase, but I don't. Isn't that discrimination?!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best answer

Its absolutely legal. Nobody is entitled to a raise by law and a company can give people raises, or choose NOT to give people raises as they see fit, for whatever reason, as long as its not based on a discriminatory reason (ie: race, creed, sex, etc.) The reason they gave you is unfortunately (for you), perfectly legit. He's told you how you can get a raise (by applying for another, higher paying job in the company) so if you want that raise, go on and apply. Good luck.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Would be discriminatory under Title VII if you can prove he is discriminating against you due to your race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, or disability. He said you can get an increase if you apply for another role. Why not just do it? Maybe they are no longer happy with your performance in this role. Sounds like you are in corporate america... happens every day.

• 10 years ago

well in my opinion what he is doing is wrong

he is cutting your wage

just coz he is doing it over a long time never the less in 3 years time you will be getting less pay for doing the same job.

you agreed to do your job for the wage and rate you get, you have done your part of the deal now he is saying that he feels your getting to much and he wants to down grade you, well no way should you agree to that.

a cost of living wage has nothing to do with what your on an hour or how much work you do.

its to keep your wage in-line with inflation, the same rise in costs affect you all the same, so he has no right to give some and not others, that amounts to discrimination.

i would write your boss a letter asking him to clarify what it is he in-tends to do and to explain why your being asked to do the same job for less money.

if he wont put it in writing tell him your going to apply for an Industrial Tribunal

Source(s): my head
  • zuk
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

you ought to write what you're incomes, no longer what you're being paid. If every person queries the discrepancy, you in basic terms say that the question replace into ambiguous. contained regarding ambiguous questions, you grants an ambiguous answer (which performs the comparable recreation that they play: that could irritate people). besides the undeniable fact that, state your assumptions needless to say, and show what you're incomes. This makes your answer much less ambiguous, and any fake effect could be clarified on the negotiation point.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Yes it's legal, and no it's not discrimination.

• 10 years ago

100% legal. Maybe he just doesn't like you

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Speak to your HR department.

• EnvyMe
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

He is not allowed to say what he is gonna do with others to you unless your in mgmt role as well. it violates the other workers privacy.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

not if UR a woman, that would be sex discrimination. but if UR a man UR fucked.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.