My employer says I won't get any salary increase in my current role but my colleagues will. Is that legal?

I've worked for the company for over 10 years and joined when times and salary were good. Now my employer is doing a "salary alignment" and tells me I won't get any increase (including cost of living), but others in my department will still do so. Apparently, I am at the "top of my... show more I've worked for the company for over 10 years and joined when times and salary were good. Now my employer is doing a "salary alignment" and tells me I won't get any increase (including cost of living), but others in my department will still do so. Apparently, I am at the "top of my band", but they won't show me this in writing. I'm told the only way to get an increase is to apply for another role within the company or get another job. My performance record has always been recorded as good or great and I'm told this has nothing to do with my work quality. Can they legally do this?
Update: Just want to add/concentrate on the "cost of living" aspect. If everyone else in my department gets a cost of living (i.e. 2 or 3%) increase, but I don't. Isn't that discrimination?!