What really happens after we die?

Has anyone ever stopped to think what would happen after we die? Many religions say our spirits rise up to heaven where we live in the clouds and look down on the world. Others say we die then reincarnate as another living creature. Some of us think that when we die,nothing happens. I know that my mother thinks that when we die our spirits become one with the stars. But as for me, I'm an athiest.

Basically, these are mainly just stories.But no one really knows for sure because you can't experience an after-life and come back to tell the tale.

To be honest,I'm afraid to find out.I know that because I'm 18 I still have a long way to go before I die,unless, if i die early in a horrible tragedy. But then, what would we do afterwards when we do die? Would we just sulk in where ever,would we be bored,would we be trapped in time? I don't know..

Anyone, give me your opinions. I'm quite interested to see what you have to say.

Jehovah’s Witnesses take Eccl. 9:5 out of context to teach that a person is in a state of unconsciousness until the time of the “resurrection,” when God will “recreate” them as long as they are in His memory. It is not wise to base essential doctrine on the Book of Ecclesiastes, but many aberrant “Christian” groups do so. Besides giving God’s viewpoint on matters, the Bible also relates many things said and done by others, some good, others not so good. For example, at Job 2:4, the Bible gives Satan’s viewpoint on a matter.

The Book of Ecclesiastes is a study in contrast between the secular, humanistic, materialistic viewpoint of man and the theistic viewpoint of God. The first 11 Chapters focus primarily on man’s viewpoint, and the 12th contains God’s. For example, Eccl. 3:19 says, “For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same…there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity.” 10:1: “Dead flies make a perfumer’s oil stink, so a little foolishness is weightier than wisdom and honor.” 10:19: “Men prepare a meal for enjoyment, and wine makes life merry, and money is the answer to everything.” 11:9: “Rejoice, young man during your childhood, and let your heart be pleasant during the days of young manhood. And follow the impulses of your heart and the desires of your eyes.” These verses obviously do not set forth God’s view, and this is only a small sample of what you’ll find in the first 11 Chapters of this Book.

The Bible clearly teaches that a separation of body and spirit occurs at death. Paul said, “we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.” (2 Cor. 5:8) He said, “But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better.” (Phil. 1:23) When Stephen was being stoned, he called upon Jesus saying, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!” (Acts 7:59) Peter said, “I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder, knowing that the laying aside of my earthly dwelling is imminent, as also our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.” (2 Pet. 1:13-14) It is important to note that these men were saved believers in Christ Jesus. On the cross, Jesus said, “Father, into Thy hand I commit My spirit.” (Luke 23:46)

Jesus gave an illustration of the principle of separation of soul/spirit from body at death. In Luke 16:19-31 you can read Jesus’ words about the rich man and Lazarus. Both men died and went to Hades. Lazarus was in the “paradise” compartment of Hades (Abraham’s bosom), while the rich man was in the “torments” section. They were separated by a great gulf, and both were fully conscious. The illustration fits perfectly with ancient Jewish thought and the Hebrew Scriptures where the righteous patriarchs are referred to as going “down” to be with their fathers in peace or being gathered to their people, while the unrighteous dead are referred to in the OT as being in agony. The first case of such being said in the OT is concerning Abraham, who was told directly by God that he would “go to his fathers in peace, and he would be buried in a good old age.” (Gen. 15:15) The place of Abraham’s burial is also recorded in the OT, and it is nowhere near Ur of the Chaldees where his “fathers” were physically buried.

The illustration Jesus gave at Luke 16 was a true picture of the state of the dead at that time. However, following His death and resurrection, Jesus “ascended on high, You have led captive Your captives.” (Ps. 68:18; Eph. 4:8-10) Jesus emptied out the righteous side of Sheol and led them victoriously to heaven. After this point in the Bible, no righteous person is ever said to go down to rest with their fathers, but instead they go up to be with the Lord. There they await the time when they will follow Jesus when He returns to earth for His 1000-year reign. After this comes the eternal state, where they will inherit the new heavens and earth.

The gospel message is this: Jesus Christ was sent by the Father to this earth to take your sins (the times you’ve lied, the times you’ve stolen, the times you’ve had impure thoughts) upon Himself on the cross. His death cancelled your sin debt with God. Because He died in your place, you have forgiveness of your sins if you believe this and submit yourself to Him. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” (John 3:16) "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.” (John 5:24) Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies.” (John 11:25)

• Susanna
      4 years agoReport

Roy and peacelilly. That's The biggest of hogwash I ever read.

• Debra

When I die, others will still be alive getting on with their lives. Perhaps I'd like to think some may mourn my demise, but that will depend on what I did in life. When I die, I shall be no more, so I won't be conscious and therefore I won't be in a position to know what happens following my death. So there is no point worrying about it.

Oh wow, religion...

So here's what I've been told,

Apparently our minds, since they are just electrical signals in our brains, go dark. It then, since our brain is dead, doesn't float up to a holy cloud or burn in a fiery hole, it begins to dream and since most people are religious what they choose to dream is reminiscent of 'heaven' or 'hell' but its no different than a nightmare or a pleasant dream. Your subconscious takes over and you just end up dreaming(some would call it hallucinating) for, well, forever.

There. :) an atheist's perspective.

• Susanna
      4 years agoReport

I agree you either get buried in a coffin where you gradually decompose into a load of slimey liquid, or you are cremated and your ashes are either scattered somewhere or placed in an urn for someone to dispose of as they think fit. All this floating off up to Heaven, nice thought, but is bullshine.

You cease to exist. That's all. You'll probably get a nice burial and a funeral, but after that the world goes on, but you don't.

As much as I'd like to believe that I'll be able to live on in a paradise in the sky, I simply can't. I just know that it isn't true.

• Susanna
      4 years agoReport

My comment, which should be in this Space, appears in the comment above.

We don't know, those of us who believe in God hope and pray what we've been taught about Gods promise will be so. No one has returned to tell us, many have thought they've seen the "other side", maybe they have. As to what the first answerer said, he is right, this earthly shell will return to ground. That is one reason I don't like embalming.

As for what our physical self may be (if there even is one) is beyond our Imagination. I personally believe God will provide what ever our spirit/soul needs to live in the Kingdom of God.

All living creatures are made of 2 parts, body - flesh, bones, blood etc & soul - spirit. On death the former gets decomposed & the later is retrieved by the ONE who created it. The spirit/soul is either put to sleep till the Day of judgement as per its deeds in this life or kept awake it the awe of the dread its going to face again on the Day.

okay actually i think you should believe your religion my religion is a Christan so i rrly believe in god and god tells me that im going to heaven becuz this is what happens you can die but your soul cnt and you just gotta trust god whoever but this is what happens my mom she was a nurse at Kaiser s he was working and they patient died so she died she seen heaven everything was gold nad you go through the gate unless your name wasn't on the list but if it wasn't god Will send you to hell so now that your a young adult watch out what you do cuz god watches what you do he told me to say this i no this is true if you believe in it it will happen.SO now you now so then my mom she saved the patient and she told my mo this but remember believe what your heart says okay hope this helps

Source(s): god told me

Never assume that you have "forever" to live your life before you die. Many people have said that, and they've died young. As a christian, I believe that when I die, eventually Christ will come back, judge those living and dead, and since I've accepted him, I believe I'll be in heaven with him forever when I die. In order to believe in Christ I have to believe in God, which I do. He's always been there for me, unlike people, who are often wishy washy about whether or not they "have time" for you. God always has time, and he has answered many prayers for me. So in the bible, when God says to be sure we're "ready" when we die, he's telling us to accept Christ before it's too late, so we don't end up in hell, far apart from God's love. With God and Christ, you won't have to fear death. For death is just the beginning of what wonderful things are to come if you believe. The links below have several versions of this verse, but the meaning is the same.

Source(s): The bible itself. Like one verse says: "I am the resurrection, and the life. Whoever so believeth in me shall never die". http://bible.cc/john/11-25.htm

Dear Meg, do you think we are here just to accumulate the wealth from this earth for ourselves or family? That we are self-sufficient and do not need to ponder, who is the owner of this Earth?

After the 7th footsteps away of your living beloved ones, from your grave, an Angel of God, one who is very loyal to Him, will appear before you. He will question you on who is your God, who is your prophet, what is your book, where do you face in prayer, who is you community? A wrong answer and you will experience pain, wrath of God, much terrible, much more painful than the whipping from prison wardens of this world. Your place will shrink and will close into you so that you will be squeezed between the walls of your grave, till the day of Resurrection, or the Day of Judgment. Should you answer the Angel of God correctly, he will wish you peace, and at peace you will be, till the Day of Judgment.

There is a Covenant between the created, and the Creator.

Read it in Holy Quran.

• borhan

see the Islamic view .Muslim ,christen,jews have the same knowledge and the exact story .but remember these religion came on earth in few hundred year gap .

as an atheist you got no other option but to go to hell.as a young intelligent kid i expect you will be clever enough to grant any of these Abrahamic religion .at-least believing in all mighty God is the only way to get rid of hell .so be clever by being religious and trust in God

• jim