blonde asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

How many German, British, and French soldiers fought the battle of the Somme?

Approximately how many fought from each country in the battle of the Somme?

• Jay
    Favorite Answer

The battle lasted from the 1st July to November 13 so there would have been a lot of soldiers coming in as replacements and to re-inforce losses. However on day one of the battle there were 27 divisions of Allied soldiers - about 750,000 men and the Germans had 16 divisions or around 450-500,000 men, but they were defending.

By the end of the battle around 100 divisions had fought in some part of the battle for the Allies and around 50 for the Germans, so I'd estimate that 2,500,000 -3,000,000 men on the Allied side, and 1,250,000 to 1,500,000 for the Germans. Each side lost around 600,000 men although this included wounded men who would have returned to fight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme#R...

basically, alot, too much.I do not see why we humans must kill each other in such a way...i mean, why?? for a simple hunk of land?? to boss people around?? to KILL other people who do not believe in whatever you believe? The grass is always greener somewhere else.

my religion has a saying: The one who elevates himself will be lowered, the one who lowers himself will be elevated. God, oh boy, god. sometime i wonder myself, is he really there? we all Interpret the signs around us differently. you get a series of "Bad Lucks",do you think you didnt actually merit it?? think back. Your Brothers and Sisters needed help, what did you do? you simply ignored them and did what you wanted. You are free, but free in god.

I digress.this has gone WAAAY too long.

Source(s): Religion, Wikipedia.