Which of these teams will get the first round draft pick in the 2010 NHL draft?

As the NHL takes a mid-season break for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, let us take a look to see which team will likely win the race for the first round draft pick in the upcoming draft.

The candidates and their point totals at the Olympic break:

Edmonton Oilers - 44 points

Toronto Maple Leafs - 49

Raleigh North Carolina Hurricanes - 55

New York Islanders - 58

Miami Florida Panthers - 58

I'm sure the Toronto Maple Leafs will be extra keen to avoid finishing in the basement so they don't have to give a high round draft pick to the Boston Bruins, the team that owns their 2010 first round draft pick due to the Leafs snatching superstar Phil Kessel last summer.

GOALS SCORED

Edmonton Oilers - 153

Miami Panthers - 155

New York Islanders - 159

Toronto Maple Leafs - 162

Raleigh Hurricanes - 168

TOP SCORERS (from these bottom 5 teams)

Eric Staal (car) - 50 points

Jussi Jokinen (car) - 49

Stephen Weiss (fla) - 48

Dustin Penner (edm) - 47

Tomas Kaberle (tor)- 46

Phil Kessel (tor) - 41

Alexei Ponikarovsky (tor) - 41

Kyle Okposo (nyi) - 40

Offence does not seem to be much of a problem for the trigger happy Hurricanes and Maple Leafs. Because the Oilers and Islanders seem to lack fire power, would they be more likely to finish in the basement?

Favorite Answer

I think the Islanders will stay out of the basement there. I think if the goalies in Toronto can get tough again, than they probably won't finish at the bottom. Edmonton just had some bad luck this year and I don't see them getting a lot better this year.

Edmonton is the favorite to get the first round pick, but keep in mind that any of these teams have a chance depending on who wins the lottery.

I'm an Islander fan and at this point I'm almost hoping they just stop winning games as its basically too late to make the playoffs anyway. However, they probably will not drop as low as Edmonton, that is one bad, bad team. Of course there is a draft lottery so it's very difficult to predict the actual draft order. My predictions for standings of the bottom few (from worst to best):

Edmonton

NYI

Maple Leafs

Panthers

Hurricanes

At this point, I see the Hurricanes and Oilers holding up their respective conferences by the end of the regular season. But that doesn't matter because the NHL uses a draft lottery, making it nearly impossible to predict which team will wind up with the number one pick in any season.

One More Year Nick! forgot to add the Wings first round pick....Riley Sheahan. A 6 foot 2 inch, 202 pound center. Should be fun to see him in the Red and White soon.

Edmonton is in chaos. Leafs will pick it up and finish around 11th. Carolina and NYI are terrible.

1

Yes

NYI will tank it.

Carolina next

Edmonton

Atlanta

Leafs