How can I drop domestic violence charges or lower them?

Hello, yesterday me and my now ex boyfriend got in our final fight. He got too violent and started threatening me and brought my 7 yr old son into the argument and basically threatened us with death. This is a complicated story. He became violent since about 2-3 weeks ago (threats, choking me, spitting on me, etc)... show more Hello, yesterday me and my now ex boyfriend got in our final fight. He got too violent and started threatening me and brought my 7 yr old son into the argument and basically threatened us with death. This is a complicated story. He became violent since about 2-3 weeks ago (threats, choking me, spitting on me, etc) He lived with me, BUT he did not want to be with me anymore.(since 2 weeks ago) He only wanted to stay with me and use me until he found a job. Of course, i wasn't okay with that you know cuz i still love him and couldn't process that he suddenly had changed his feelings towards me, so every time i would try to hug him or be next to him he would flip out and do those things he did to me.
I posted a post yesterday about him reading into conspiracies and occult symbolism and how ever since he got into that he changed toward me. U can read my story to better understand this one by following this link. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ai65p64AVvySy0VDUlTncMbsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100214222505AATiCpm
He is now in jail awaiting his court hearing and they are trying to charge him with two felonies PC273.5(A) and PC422. I told the police I did not want to file charges but they said they take domestic violence seriously now and will prosecute themselves. Is there any way I can talk 2 the DA or prosecutor or someone and have them give him a lighter sentence/charge such as a recommendation that he take counseling/anger management/ psychiatric help instead of facing possible prison time, since he has never been in trouble with the law before? What steps exactly do I need to take? All answers would be greatly appreciated! =] Thank you all so much.
Update: he makes me feel bad because he said he could of left without me having to call the cops on him and ruin his life..