Has NBC let the NHL down?

NBC holds the US NHL contract for game of the week and they are broadcasting the Olympics. Yet, they pretty much have banished hockey in the Olympics to MSNBC a cable channel. Yes, I understand that they will show medal games on NBC, but I would think they might want to build momentum for a sport they broadcast... show more NBC holds the US NHL contract for game of the week and they are broadcasting the Olympics. Yet, they pretty much have banished hockey in the Olympics to MSNBC a cable channel. Yes, I understand that they will show medal games on NBC, but I would think they might want to build momentum for a sport they broadcast throughout the year. I would think that both parties would relish this opportunity to bring great hockey to the masses and try and grow the game. Both the NHL and NBC stand to gain from national exposure from the world greatest players. I just feel like NBC is showing the NHL where the NHL stands in its pecking order.

Your thoughts?
Update: As you know, I am not around much anymore... so IF I missed the ball on this topic, I apologize. I also understand how ratings work, and as long as I can see the games, I am OK... I just think that NBC is missing a golden opportunity. The NBA stands to lose 400million this season, people are disgusted with the... show more As you know, I am not around much anymore... so IF I missed the ball on this topic, I apologize.
I also understand how ratings work, and as long as I can see the games, I am OK... I just think that NBC is missing a golden opportunity.
The NBA stands to lose 400million this season, people are disgusted with the actions of its players.... to me, the door is open for the NHL to squeeze its way back into popularity. Just saying.