mayerj72 asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Why is olympic hockey played on a smaller NHL size ice rink?

Usually it's suppose to be played on the international ice rink, which is a little wider. How come they are playing it on an NHL size surface now? So the good teams can't play out their technical skills and team Canada can crash into them with their bodies without even hitting the puck once? Seems to me as if they just did whatever it takes to get the ice rink that increases their chances of winning the most.

Favorite Answer

Back in 2006 it was decided due to costs to change the rink size and remove seats that bring in money the IIHF agreed to have the Vancouver games played on the NHL standard sized rinks. This has nothing to do with a competitive edge and most of the true gold contenders are countries where the top talent currently plays in the NHL and therefore on the NHL sized rinks. As far as the theory that Canada can "crash into them" without ever touching the puck.....that would be called interference and a penalty on team Canada. The skill and technical abilities are still available to the players....the difference is they cant slow down the game using the wider surface so the quickness of play and game speed will be faster but the skill wont go away....it will be enhanced. The team that plays best and gets good goaltending will win the gold and the ice surface size wont do much to affect that aspect of the game simply because the best teams all have plenty of experience on the smaller surface. The difference will be that the weaker teams will likely get dominated by a bigger margin......losing by more goals is still losing though so what really changes? A non issue for the players and apparently not an issue for the International Ice Hockey Federation or they would have challenged the issue a long time ago (again this was decided in a 2006 meeting).

I read something about long time needed to expand the rink. Also more fans can attend the games when the rink is small. I don't think team Canada will benefit that much from teh smaller rink since most of the players from European teams play in NHL anyway.

Last time in Turin it was played on a European sized ice sheet, this time its obviously an NHL sized sheet.

This is done because the IIHF is overseeing this tournament, and per IIHF rules larger rinks are permitted in Europe, and smaller-sized NHL rinks are allowed in North America.

Obviously both Canada and the USA struggled on the big ice in Turin, but this small rink could definately give both of those teams an advantage.

• Sandra

No, it will change the game too much. We have an olympic sheet here in Phoenix at one of the rinks. Occasionally my bantam-aged son has a game on that sheet. The whole dynamic of the game changes and it's not as interesting at all. Plus, it slows the game down so much. I think it's the same with the pros during the olympics. I like the fast action of the NHL sized sheet. I hope they don't change to olympic ice.

My best guess would be because GM Place cannot convert to Olympic sized ice.

• ?

Ice Hockey Rink Size

money. it would take many dolla dolla bills to build an international sized rink. it would also take alot of time.

Source(s): usa hockey magazine