Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Can you wear insoles in the BRITISH ARMY basic training?

Hi i have a problem with overpronaton in my feet, and i need to wear raised insoles in my running shoes or i get terrible pains in my shins and lower legs. these were prescribed by a specialist foot doctor.

would i be allowed to wear them in my trainers / boots in the british army basic training?

aslo can someone give me a rough guideline to how often and how far we we will be running for in basic? and at what sort of pace? running is my weak point!

thanks, Lewis

p.s i have passed selection and got an A grade for that, i did my 1.5 mile run in 10.15 at selection . i am due to start basic in 2 weeks time and am paniking a little!! oh and im going in the royal signals

• AL G

I would say what you have inside your boots and trainers is your business.

In basic training there is a lot of running, jumping, carrying.... Runs can be short and very fast, or 8 to 10 miles at a good pace. A lot of people have problems with their knees because of this (Mine are still giving me problems and I left the Army 10 years ago)

If you have an existing foot problem then you need to be very careful that you don't do some permanent damage. Let the medical centre know about it when you start training and they may issue you with sorbathane insoles to help cushion from the pounding you're going to have to endure.

It doesn't stop after basic training though, normally when in camp in the UK or Germany you have 2 runs a week to maintain a basic level of fitness as well as your normall fitness tests. On top of this you may have more PT prior to a deployment or operational tour.

If you've already passed the medical then I don't think you've got much to worry about

Source(s): Royal Engineers for 16 years
  • ?

British Army Running Shoes

My brother was thinking of joining the British army, and he has flat feet and needed insoles. As long as you can keep up with the other recruits, I can't imagine it would be a problem, but go to your local recruitment center and ask about it, just to be sure.

You need to be able to run 2 miles in 11 minutes max, but you'll want to try to do it in 9

There's a swimming test in the initial tests. I believe it's 100m (or 200m, I can't remember) and then treading water for about 5 minutes. Sorry I can't remember the numbers. I know you don't have to do more than 200m and no more than 5 minutes for treading water. I'm joining the army and I can barely swim. I can just about do the bare minimum, but they say that, as long as you can do that, you're OK getting in. I don't think there's any in basic training, but I don't know for certain. Good luck.

You are considering doing basic, and you have feet problems and you can't run very well? Err, I'll be surprised if you last a week - if they even let you in. I doubt you would be allowed to wear insoles.

Yes you can including in your combat boots.

but pain in the shins is just untrained muscles and by the end of the training it would be normal.

when i started my boot camp my shins calves use to hurt because I'm not a runner but now i can run with no problem.

what ever you do dont quit good luck'.

if you have problem with your stamina sprint short distance and try to beat the timing.

if thats too easy for you do it with a heavy bagpack.'

btw when ure running during the course and lets say u get tired whatever you do dont stop running u can slow down but never stop. if the instructor 'see you stopping then they would doubt your determination.

forgive me spelling mistakes and grammar Im just a infanteer :P

Source(s): 'me

yep im in week 17 guards cic course, a mate of mine wears insoles in all his issued footwear, you wont be running anymore than 5/6 miles in basic, but its all down to the pti's at what pace you run at, expect to do alot of running especially on exercise.

Maybe you don't realise it but the army is the most demanding force and holds the highest risk. Before being accepted you will be given a medical. I suggest you call a recruiting center and put your situation to them, they will advise. If they can take you, they will,

YESS you would, the most important thing out in the field is your feet, my platoon commander is a captain he has some ultra soft extra padding sole in his,

the reason why they let you is because it increases your combat effectiveness

Source(s): PRIVATE

yep