i need articles on environmental waste and its disadvantages for a school project!?

plz send me some articles on the question i asked but only for a school level project you can even give me good sites to find it!plz help!thnx!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best answer

Solid Waste Management

The humans have, ever since their inception on this planet used its resources to support life and in bargain produced waste. In early days the disposal of human and other wastes did not pose significant problems as the population was very small and the area of land available for the assimilation of such wastes was large. However, today, rapid population growth and uncontrolled industrial development are seriously degrading the urban and semi-urban environment in many of the world's developing countries, placing enormous strain on natural resources and undermining efficient and sustainable development.

WHAT IS SOLID WASTE?

Any solid material in the material flow pattern that is rejected by society is called solid waste. Solid wastes arise from human and animal activities that are normally discarded as useless or unwanted. In other words, solid wastes may be defined as the organic and inorganic waste materials produced by various activities of the society and which have lost their value to the first user. As the result of rapid increase in production and consumption, urban society rejects and generates solid material regularly which leads to considerable increase in the volume of waste generated from several sources such as, domestic wastes, commercial wastes, institutional wastes and industrial wastes of most diverse categories. Wastes that arise from a typical urban society comprises of garbage rubbish (package materials), construction and demolition wastes, leaf litter, hazardous wastes, etc.

WHAT IS SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT?

Management of solid waste may be defined as that discipline associated with the control of generation, storage, collection, transfer and transport, processing, and disposal of solid wastes in a manner that is in accord with the best principles of public health, economics, engineering, conservation, aesthetics, and other environmental considerations. In its scope, solid waste management includes all administrative, financial, legal, planning, and engineering functions involved in the whole spectrum of solutions to problems of solid wastes thrust upon the community by its inhabitants.

WASTE DISPOSAL OPTIONS

Recycling & Reuse

The processes, by which materials otherwise destined for disposal are collected, reprocessed or remanufactured and are reused. The separation for recycling takes place at households, community bins, open dumps and even in final disposal yards.

Non-engineered disposal

This is the most common method of disposal in low-income countries, which have no control, or with only slight or moderate controls. They tend to remain for longer time and environmental degradation could be high, include mosquito, rodent and fly breeding, air, and water pollution, and degrading of the land.

Sanitary landfilling

Sanitary landfill is a fully engineered disposal option, which avoids harmful effects of uncontrolled dumping by spreading, compacting and covering the wasteland that has been carefully engineered before use. Through proper site selection, preparation and management, operators can minimize the effects of leachates (polluted water which flows from a landfill) and gas production both in the present and in the future. This option is suitable when the land is available at an affordable price. Human and technical resources available are to operate and manage the site.

Biogas

Biogas contains approximately 60:40 mixture of methane (CH4), and carbon dioxide (CO2) produced by the anaerobic fermentation of cellulose biomass materials - simultaneously generating an enriched sludge fertilizer - with an energy content of 22.5 MJ/m3, clean gaseous fuel for cooking, for running engines for shaft and electrical power generation with little or no pollution.

Composting

Composting is a biological process of decomposition carried out under controlled conditions of ventilation, temperature, moisture and organisms in the waste themselves that convert waste into humus-like material by acting on the organic portion of the solid waste. If carried out effectively, the final product is stable, odor-free, does not attract flies and is a good soil conditioner. Composting is considered when biodegradable waste is available in considerable fraction in the waste stream and there is use or market for compost. Centralized composting plant for sector may only be undertaken if adequate skilled manpower and equipment are available, hence at household level and small level composting practices could be effective which needs the people's awareness.

Incineration

Incineration is the controlled burning of waste in a purpose built facility. The process sterilizes and stabilizes the waste. For most wastes, it will reduce its volume to less than a quarter of the original. Most of the combustible material is converted into carbon dioxide and ash. An extensive sample program conducted in India (Bhide and Sundaresan, 1984) reveals that most of the waste had a calorifi

• reus
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

i might say based on the undertaking of the class, i spend everywhere from 3/4 to not one of the era (a million a million/2 hrs) easily getting any benefit. i found in basic terms as plenty (or greater) each and each year in homeschool with 2-4 hours of artwork each and on a daily basis. i additionally hit alot of time waiting for rides, between training, at lunch, and close to the top of a classification (approx. 2 hrs an afternoon entire) doing no longer something and wishing i ought to get artwork executed and break out faster, time wasted. desire it helps! -monotonous

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.