Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

How often do you hear the word "chuff" in conversation these days ...?

I just watched an episode of Steptoe and Son (sorry young people you will have to Google it) and there was mention that someone was "tighter than a gnat's chuff"

my uncle says it, but it means @rse round here not like Manda, she means her Jack and Danny.....lol

• tindle

i for my section study a piece of writing approximately this final 365 days. It began out as an rather "Valley woman" snobbish way of talking and steadily unfold to different communities. Now, extraordinarily much all youngsters and a multitude of adults (decrease than the age of 40) use the the observe "like" in this context. no longer purely that, even though it extremely is unfold to lots of the different english talking worldwide places in the international. that's an exceedingly exciting article, I extraordinarily reccomend analyzing it.

• sara d

Never heard that one before and I have seen some Steptoe & Son programs.

I have to say never heard anyone recently saying the word "chuff" ..............*wonders off to try and visualise a gnat's chuff*

Fantastic expression, excellent use of the word and a very funny TV program which thanks to over sensitive PC rulebooks - we will never see the likes of again.

I shall put the word in six inch high permanent marker on the wall and intend to use it every day...

There we go, it's up there right next to "gobbledeshite!"

• I have only heard it in the context of someone being happy or delighted about something, eg "My son as chuffed to bits".

Hey... I said "chuff" last night....

It's a bird, actually, and it's a protected species (amber alert)......!

Rarely...Steptoe and son I loved that...

chuffed tae bits

ma pal in work said it today haha

never.

occasionally i hear "im well chuffed" over the shoulder of some chavs.