Current Bands/ Artists with a unique sound?

I decided to not include bands of the past, because lots of us here already know a LOT of them had such original sounds. (eg: Steely Dan)

But when I hear sooo many of today's rock bands, I really think I'm hearing the same freakin band. I can name off at least 6 different Blink 182/ Fall Out Boy sound-alikes. (& just b/c they may be the same genre doesn't mean they can't stand out over the others. The old guys sure did it)

But- I *have* heard a few that stood out to me somehow. Whether it be the overall feel, the vocals, atmosphere. Just *Something* that makes them out of the mold.

Few of mine:

Of Montreal

Deerhoof

Imogen Heap

Pomplamoose

I *want* to say Silversun Pickups, but they've been compared to Smashing Pumpkins. Still, I think among current bands, they stand out sound-wise. Esp. the vocals.

Update:

Yo, Khat! :)

Update 2:

Heya, Peace!

Ima check out some of the bands I'm readin here!

I'm one of those classic rock freaks who actually Likes looking for new sounds. :)

Update 3:

DODO- Dirty Projectors! Great call! I just discovered them last summer. DEF' a different sound.

Update 4:

dJezz- I totally thought of Frou Frou when I listed Imogen.H. I LOVE that song "Flicks"! So pretty.

Bon Iver- he's been getting a Lot of attn. lately. I heard "Skinny Love" on NPR & fell in love w/ it right away.

Update 5:

SolracV- I've only heard that one song by Grizzly Bear. ('2 Weeks'-something?) Loved it. It sounded like an indie Beach Boys.

& I've been hearing such a buzz about Animal Collective. I need to hear them again.

I think Muse is another one.

Update 6:

Oh, & MGMT. I really like what I've heard w/ them.

Update 7:

Johnny- Was just listening to Japandroids last night. Love them!

& I need to hear more Deerhunter.

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best answer

xavier rudd

• 10 years ago

Oh Fonzie!! You forgot all of the post grunge bands! Hahahaa now they sound the same. Like, the same crappy voice everywhere even though they all have different singers. How do they do it?!?! :O

Um... I listen to a lot of weird new music lol

Billy Talent has a strange *** singer who still kicks ***, and some of the cleanest and most complex guitar playing I have ever heard.

Cursive

Animal Collective

Avenged Sevenfold

Cage The Elephant

Cancer Bats -hell yes bro

The Dresden Dolls

The Fratellis

Gallows

Kings Of Leon

Mindless Self Indulgence

Muse

My Chemical Romance (no matter what your take, they are unique)

My Morning Jacket

Queens of the Stone Age -for sure for sure

Silversun Pickups -I can kind of see the Pumpkins correlation, but these are more of a dynamic shoegazer group I think. Dynamic as in they are usually chill but know when to pull out all the stops.

TV on the Radio

Yeah. ;) Enjoy lol

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Animal Collective

• David
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Gorillaz. The genius of an animated/virtual band (four fictional members representing as many flesh-and-blood musicians as is necessary or desired) is illustrated when a Britpop vocalist/songwriter, a underground hip hop MC, and an R&B/soul legend collaborate on the same song, as is the case with "Stylo," the latest Gorillaz single. The possibilities are unprecedented and, thus far, the sounds have been amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEhUsdaTavw

Youtube thumbnail

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • A current band that is original is hard come by as I think that every band/artist takes influence from a previous band gone before but i'll try a few for ya:

Mastodon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoLI3LGPEJ4

Youtube thumbnail

- I know Gojira & Meshuggah fans would disagree but in fairness Mastodon have that sound refined.

Kasabian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5up8kJoCsJM

Youtube thumbnail

- NOT LIKE OASIS , just clearing that up. They haven't recorded a cover to make themselves popular in their 1st 3 albums and all albums are as solid and consistent as they come.

Arcade Fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqGiCXtvokM

Youtube thumbnail

- the most original band I know!!

• J
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Deerhunter

The Antlers

No Age

Atlas Sound

Real Estate

Fleet Foxes (one of the most original bands i ever heard)

A Sunny Day in Glasgow

Japandroids

Woods

Wavves

• 10 years ago

Holy crap, Fonzie! :O

Off-hand, I gotta mention Wintersun. The production is so slick and amazing, even for a melodic death metal band, and all their songs have this amazingly epic feel with several multi-layered passages in their songs that always sound fresh no matter how many times you hear them. And best yet, they only have one album, and they already have a sound all their own.

And the song "Winter Madness" has like the most epic freakin' guitar solo ever. XD

• 10 years ago

I agree with Bish, I was actually going to mention Yeasayer, haha. One of the few unique bands out there IMO. Check out their song Tightrope.

Also, I think Grizzly Bear can be another unique band, so is Animal Collectives.

Source(s): cowBELLZ
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

• 10 years ago

Vampire Weekend

Yeasayer

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Sufjan Stevens is probably one of the most understated artists of our time. He is sort of a cult favorite, probably due in part to the sheer number of instruments he can play and the way that he uses them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.