Are there Christians who believe believe Jesus is not God?

i know that the concept of Trinity is widely accepted by Chrisitans, but are there those who believe Jesus is not God, but only a prophet?

just curious.

sorry about the typing mistake.

• Kerry

Jesus Christ is the SON of God, and came to earth to do the will of his Father, who is God. Being the Son, he has the same divine attributes of his Father, God. Being the Son, he was immortal, and died for our sins, to be resurrected on the third day.

Jesus is a distinct, and separate being from his Father, who is God.

Source(s): Lifelong Mormon

There are 'cults' who say they are christian but because they do not believe Jesus is God they are not Christian. Christianity is the belief that there is ONE God in 3 Divine Person. He is a Triune god. The first person is The Father, The second person is the Son who is Jesus and became man and died to restore our fellowship witht he Father after Adam the first man sinned. The third person is The Holy Spirit who was sent to the earth to be our conselor, comforter and guide after Jesus arose into heaven once he was resurrected from the tomb. Some of these religions say they believe in God but they do not honor Jesus as God but only as the son of God. This separates them from true Christianity. You have to believe that all three persons of the Trinity are God in three divine persons, father, son, holy spirit for you to be a true christian. This is not the only thing that separates you from being a true christian vs a cult. I have a site below that you can read that will explain a lot of other ways that the counsel of churches decides whether a group is truly following the Bible or altering its true foundation for their own beliefs and desires.

I believe Jesus was an enlightened spirit who was born a man, and not a God. I consider myself a Christian, but I don't worship Jesus, nor do I think we were ever told to in the bible. Pray though him, certianly, but not worship him. I could be wrong on this point. However, If Jesus was a God, it seems to me that the example he set for us is worthless. He kept saying that what he did, we could do, too. Which means either we are too Gods, or he was a person just like us. It would be easy for a God to live a blameless and sin free life, wouldn't it. And no human could ever hope to live up to Jesus promise if he was. Also, the story of Jesus in the wilderness makes me think that he went through a test much like the Buddha did on his way to enlightenment and Buddha never claimed to be a God.

There are Christians who believe Jesus is only the Son of God and they reject the Trinity. This is why Christianity is fragmented. The Bible is full of Scripture affirming the deity of Jesus, but some people can't see it. They need the Holy Spirit to open their minds to understand the Scriptures, unless they are using a man-made Bible that is corrupt. In that case there is no hope for them. A Christian who denies that Jesus is God, denies the very existence of God, and is not a follower of Christ, but a follower of Satan.

• Ernie

If there are, I would question if they are Christians, because John 1:1 clearly says the Word is God, and down in verse 14 the bible says the Word became flesh ( or Jesus was born ). To believe Jesus is not God is to call God a liar.

I am a non-demoninational Christian who personally believes that Jesus Christ is the Messiah,our Savior, the Son of God (in spirit, purpose, etc), and what dwelled within Jesus was God. But I do not believe Jesus is God -Himself-.

I don't necessarily reject the trinity, just the current concept of it, as it is not biblically supported.

Jesus said "Why do you call me good? Only the Father is good". Jesus said "I come to be served, not to be served". Jesus said "Only the Father knows the time of my return".

I don't reject that Jesus is divine, I believe Jesus is divine in the same way that God is divine, but ultimately, God is the only One with the power, and God gave that power to Jesus. That happens to be supported Biblically.

A person who is not God could not have died for our sins, because they would have sin in their own life.

Colossians 1:15 says that He (Jesus) is the perfect image of the invisible God.

God is a Spirit.....and Jesus is "at One" with Him, and is the human image of God.

If a person does not believe that God came in the flesh of Jesus Christ, then they are not a Christian. There are many "cults" like Jehovah's Witnesses who believe that Jesus was just some prophet, and not truly God in the flesh.

But again, a person who is just a prophet cannot die for our sins because that sacrifice would be "imperfect".

Remember in the Old Testament when lambs and goats had to be sacrificed for our sins? They had to be without blemish in order to be accepted......just like Jesus was.

Hebrews 9:22 says that without blood, there is NO forgiveness. And that blood had to be perfect.....not the imperfect blood of a "normal" person or prophet. It had to be the perfect blood of Jesus.

In order to be a Christian you must believe that Jesus is either God the Father or the Son. You can't believe he was an angel, or a man and be a Christian.

Slavery at one time was " Widely accepted" and that did not make it right. The concept of the trinity doctrine was and is FOREIGN to the Ancient Jews and Modern Jews. Since Jesus was a Jew and they not knowing of this teaching....the question becomes- " Who came up with this then?"

Certainly not the Jews or God for that matter.

Source(s): Common Sense.
  • Suzy

Since all created things had a beginning, there was a time when God was alone. Countless ages ago, however, God became a Creator. Who was his first creation? The last book of the Bible identifies Jesus as “the beginning of the creation by God.” (Revelation 3:14) Jesus is “the firstborn of all creation.” That is so “because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible.” (Colossians 1:15, 16) Yes, Jesus was the only one directly created by God himself. Therefore, he is called God’s “only-begotten Son.” (John 3:16) The firstborn Son also bears the title “the Word.” (John 1:14) Why? Because before being born as a human, he served in heaven as one who spoke for God.

Raised Episcopal. Never felt right about the trinity. Not logical.

God raised him from the dead.

Only God knows when Jesus comes again. Not even Jesus knows.

Created before all worlds? Or begotten. God existed before all that.

Why would the spirit come to him as a Dove?

He was a human, but more than a prophet.

Now he's the Arch Angel of Light, and more.