I found this mobile phone ... what would you have done?

One day in Hyderabad, A P, I found this mobile phone. Someone lost it. On the roadside. I know, I should not have picked it up. It could have been a bomb. I felt sorry for the person who lost it and wanted to return it to him/her, sincerely and with all good intentions, I picket it up. I phoned one contact... show more One day in Hyderabad, A P, I found this mobile phone. Someone lost it. On the roadside. I know, I should not have picked it up. It could have been a bomb. I felt sorry for the person who lost it and wanted to return it to him/her, sincerely and with all good intentions, I picket it up. I phoned one contact from among the many in the phone and offered to return it to the owner. Their reply was not very encoraging. I am from one of the coastal districts in A.P. The phone, as could be seen from the contacts and contents of its music files, belonged to a Telangana person. I did not dare to meet these people on the roadside to return it to them, in view of the general animosity these people had developed recently towards people of our region. I did not have the heart to give such a fine piece of machinery to a police man, who most probably would be corrupt and would probably use it himself or sell it second hand and would never return to the owner.
I am using it as a paper weight. I would never switch it on or use it.
If you were in my shoes, what would you do??
Update: I am not a brave guy. A coward, really. I do not feel comfortable in meeting new people.