Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

atheists: could any myths be true?

where is the proof that they are not? i am talking about all myths here from ancient scandinavia right down to the southern tip of africa

32 Answers

Relevance
  • Beau
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Best answer

Myths are not literally, factually true, but they can contain some very powerful spiritual Truths. It is amazing to me that a lot of atheists/scientists are very shallow in their interpretation of Reality. They attack the surface reality of a myth or allegory, showing that it is not literally/factually true, and then dismiss it as irrelevant because of that. Instead, they should dig a little deeper into the story, and see if they can find a deeper metaphorical/metaphysical/spiritual Truth in the story that may then enrich their understanding of the world, and of Reality.

Thanks for the question.

Go in Peace to Love and Serve.

• 10 years ago

Myths often had a small amount of truth behind them. This gives them some sort of creditability. Sodom and Gomorrah may well have existed and probably destroyed by an earthquake. What the myth makers do is to take the story and manipulate it to say what they want. Another ploy is to take an already existing myth and modify it to fit their own needs.

You can see this happening even now in newspapers and religious writings, just look at Hiati.

Burden of proof is always with the person who claims a myth to be true.

• Vimes
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

It doesn't work like that, people who believe in these myths have to prove that they're real. Usually, as scientists do, by trying to disprove it. Outlandish myths by themselves are just that, myths. It's up to the believers to prove otherwise.

If credence was given to everything that hasn't been proven, then how messed up a world do you think it would be? You'd have cults believing in Fairies at the bottom of the garden, Jedis somersaulting believing they're actually Jedis. In much the same way people believe the Hebrew myth that a guy was resurrected after 3 days to save the world.

• Corey
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

There are historical events that are reflected by myths, like the siege of Troy. And there are historical events that have mythic value, in part because of the events, but also because of the fictionalized accounts of them imbuing them with special meaning.

For example, Washington's Crossing of the Delaware and the subsequent Battle of Trenton. Lots of mythic value there. And it kind of happened the way it's portrayed (but not exactly).

But nobody is demanding I devote my life to whether or not Washington stood in a boat or if Poseidon demands sacrifice when he helps you break a siege. We don't need proof that Washington didn't stand or that Poseidon isn't real. Those are the claims. If I say, I don't believe Poseidon is real, or even that he probably isn't real, that is a weaker claim (or no claim at all) than any claim that he does exist.

So yes, myths exist that could be real world accurate in addition to their mythic value. For most of them, probably not, and if nobody can provide actual evidence, then it's irrelevant if they are true or not. Burden of proof is not on the non-claim.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • sugnim
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Yes. All myths are true in that they truly show us a part of the human psyche, the human condition, and what humanity has wondered about over time. Just because Zeus does not live atop Mount Olympus does not mean that he did not figure prominently in the real lives and minds of ancient Greeks.

• 10 years ago

If they are true, then they are no longer myths. Are you asking is it possible that Science is wrong about somethings? Then answer is yes, of course probably. But that's the beauty of science. Once more information comes in and there is overwhelming evidence supporting the other theories, then science changes to fit the evidence.

• 10 years ago

Burden of proof is up to the ones making the positive claim; that is, showing that the myths are true. We don't have to prove anything.

• U can't prove a negative. It's on the person claiming the existence to prove it or not.

But regarding religions and myths, even the positive cannot be proven using logical methods.

• 10 years ago

Can you prove the Invisible Pink Unicorn and the Flying Spaghetti Monster are not true based on the massive amount of evidence that people will testify exists in regards to their existence?

• Lomax
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Depends what you mean.

I happen to believe that there was a bit of a fracas at Troy about three thousand years ago.

Many myths have accreted round this grain of truth; but I don't believe them - certainly not the bits where gods are involved.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.