Brad
Lv 5
Brad asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Will Republicans be able to run against the legacy of Barack Obama for the next few decades?

Barack Obama certainly appears to be well on the way to going down as the 2nd coming of Herbert Hoover. He has repeatedly ignored the severity of the economic crisis and has repeatedly denied the fact that we are in a depression. His big government policies have worsened the depression. These days, Americans are angry at Obama and big government just as much, if not moreso, than they are angry about Bush and banksters.

In 2012, what are the chances that a laissez-faire Republican wins in a landslide and ends up with as much political capital as FDR had during the days of the 1st Great Depression? What are the chances that the country swings hard-right in the coming years and stays that way for a few decades? What are the chances that the Democrats will be out of power for a few decades and will only return to power after moving to the right of the Republicans (just as, the Canadian conservatives didn't return to power after the 1st Depression until they moved to the left of the liberals in the late 50s)?

Will Obama's legacy be the discrediting of big government for 50 years?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Best answer

No, but the legacy of chickenhawk-traitor george w bush will last longer than anyone alive today will live to see!

• Steven
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I didn't vote for Obama and I consider myself a middle-to-right person, but the fact is that he's only a year into his presidency and he inherited problems that few presidents in the last generation have had to deal with.

That being said, I think he is a fool if he continues to pursue his liberal agenda without listening to all sides and trying to be bipartisan. His election margin was more of a referendum on GWB than it was a mandate for Obama. If he isn't able to show significant progress in at least one major problem are (mainly the economy and jobs) then the only prayer he has of a second term is if the Republicans can't find a truly viable candidate to run against him.

To me Obama's biggest political problem is the smug and arrogant Democratic leadership in Congress. Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are maybe the worst Congressional leaders ever - they are perfect examples of the fact that while conservatives and moderates want to fix the country, all that liberals like Pelosi and Reid want are to beat the Republicans. Pelosi and Reid are the biggest reasons that Obama hasn't been able to get more done.

Obama had better realize that the clock is ticking and all of the good will and euphoria that came with his election will continue to disappear if he doesn't make substantial progress toward fixing our problems.

Source(s): Opinion
  • 1 decade ago

There is so much wrong with this question that I don't know where to start. Hoover was the do-nothing and the believer in laissez-faire. FDR was the one who used massive government spending to get out of the Depression.

Choosing Republicans to get us out of a recession makes no sense when the Republicans are the ones who got us here. If the Republicans endlessly mock Obama for correctly blaming Bush for things that Bush actually did only 1 year ago, why should Republicans be able to coast on anything Obama does after Obama leaves office? Unless Republicans think that we're all a bunch of morons with the memories of goldfish.

• 1 decade ago

Bush is Hoover. You already don't want to hear about Bush and it's only been a year, yet you think you are going to ride Obama's mistakes for a couple decades? You Republicans are funny. You denied there was a recession until Obama took office. Now you deny the recovery. GDP positve for the first time on four quarters. DOW higher than when Obama took office. By 2012 the recovery will be so far along Obama will be re-elected.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

"In 2012, what are the chances that a laissez-faire Republican wins in a landslide and ends up with as much political capital as FDR had during the days of the 1st Great Depression? "

Zero. There hasn't been a Laissez faire Republican in living memory, and the party would reject any that tried to emerge as being too far to the left. Republicans don't want a conservative, they want a government big enough to regulate family structure and force unwilling girls to give birth. They want a government big enough to make them "feel" safe.

But if you know of one, please tell him or her to speak up.

Will Republicans be able to run against the legacy of President Obama?

Ha ha ha ha! They'll have to, they've got nothing else to offer!

• lerner
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

His administration, definite, him truly, no. i'm truly surprised that this would not issue you in any respect. A federal company objectives communities in accordance with political ideals. the 1st US diplomat in forty years gets killed, and truly of admitting probably terrorist involvement, they scrub the clicking releases dissimilar situations until any ability connection with a terrorist attack is long previous and coerce every physique who questions the narrative into compliance. this ought to issue you, in case you have any regard in besides for civil liberties. you are able to justify it besides the undeniable fact which you like, yet abuses of ability have a bent to swing around. you will possibly in comparison to what takes place while this style of vogue gets put in the palms of your political combatants. this is why the rule of thumb of regulation ought to be utilized uniformly and justly inspite of the social gathering in ability. the two Republicans and Democrats have a confusing time be attentive to-how that concept.

• 1 decade ago

We already had a 2nd Hoover: his name was GWB. Obama is our new FDR, and we are in a New New Deal. The economy has seen two straight quarters of growth, the month of November saw job growth, and the DOW is back over 10,000 (all verifiable facts).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

probably for 12 to 16 years

i am hoping for a 3rd party that will give a better choice than repb vs dem

as far as i can see they are pretty much the same direction, pubs just a little more subtle

• Obama = Lincoln, JFK, FDR, and Clinton all rolled into one black package.

• 2xJ-58
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If they are looking for the idiot vote, that will insure it. There isn't anybody with a triple digit I.Q. that thinks that. Your observation fits right in.

Source(s): yowtrftu
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.