how do i change my wifi router channel?

i am having problems with online gaming and people are telling me it may be a problem with the channel? people say it will be on 6 as most people use 6 so how do i change the channel?

i have a netgear wireless-n router if that helps?

Update:

channel... frequency... same thing!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best answer

Go to the "Wireless" section of your router setup and you should see an channel selection. It may be 1, 6, or 11.

Choose the channel that is least used by your neighbors.

• Adrian
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Annorax is right, use only channels 1,6 or11. All channels overlap by a few channels on each side, use 1 or 11 - better there than being on 6, which all routers default to...

using channel 5 or 7 is 80% the same as using channel 6, it does not make it different enough. Those people do not understand wireless networking, and should not be giving advice...

Quote:

Although the statement that channels 1, 6, and 11 are "non-overlapping" is limited to spacing or product density, the 1–6–11 guideline has merit. If transmitters are closer together than channels 1, 6, and 11 (for example, 1, 4, 7, and 10), overlap between the channels may cause unacceptable degradation of signal quality and throughput.[13] However, overlapping channels may be used under certain circumstances. This way, more channels are available.[14]

• 10 years ago

Most routers default to 802.11g channel 1, 7, and 11.

If you are on 6, leave it there.

You could also scan your area with a wireless scanner to make sure that your channel 6 is not over-crowded where you are....and if that turns out to be the case, then indeed, change from channel 6.

• 10 years ago

Log into the router following the directions that came with it. Under wireless options, you will see a 'channel' setting. If it has an "auto" option, set it to that and leave it that way. Otherwise, 1, 5, and 11 usually work best.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Depending on the router model, you can use a web browser to access the router's administration page.

This like likely http://192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.10.1, or 192.168.100.1

You can find the correct address by either looking at the documentation or by looking at your Default Gateway in Network settings.

You should see a link on that page to the Wireless settings, on that page you should be able to change the Channel.

However, unless you are more technical and can do some checking, you are not likely getting interference with other wireless routers even within closed areas such as apartment complexes.

• 10 years ago

You would go into its setup page and change its channel. Because each model is different, find the manual or do a search for the model number of the router and you should find the instructions for it. It should tell you where to go to change the channel.

• ?
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Hi Jack. Me again. To change your channel, in your web browser type http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 then it will ask for a password, this will be the default user/pass for your router which is usually either admin/admin or admin/password. Once you are in your router go to the Wireless tab and look for the channel, then change it.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Channel? I have no idea what you mean. I think people are messing with you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.