Why do the cities in the uk not have tall buildings like in new york etc?

I mean in the cities there is some quite tall buildings, but there is no buildings in the cities like they have in new york. Why are the buildings so much smaller, compared to places like, new york, sydney etc. London and england a well known and has plenty of money, so why all the low density buildings? it would... show more I mean in the cities there is some quite tall buildings, but there is no buildings in the cities like they have in new york. Why are the buildings so much smaller, compared to places like, new york, sydney etc. London and england a well known and has plenty of money, so why all the low density buildings? it would be nice to go to my local city and see buildings like they have in cities of america. london is quite tall, but its not like other cities. in recent times, in london, they have started designing and creating much taller buildings. i hope they carry on with this. i always think cities with lots of tall buildings, make it look so much nicer.
Update: i know london has sky scrapers. there is one building in london what is 1017ft tall and compared to the empire state building, it is only 200 ft (roughly smaller) which is pretty good going. i may be underestimating the size of buildings over here lo, some cities near me are low dense