Fifa Q: When you watch defensive-style football, does it make you smarter?

Attacking football, it's great, I like watching, it's fun and fast. I really like teams like Arsenal and Barcelona, who absolutely know what to do when they have a 5 man attack, btw Arsenal congrats for coming back from 2 down! It's always a joy to watch Barcelona slaughter another team. I... show more Attacking football, it's great, I like watching, it's fun and fast. I really like teams like Arsenal and Barcelona, who absolutely know what to do when they have a 5 man attack, btw Arsenal congrats for coming back from 2 down! It's always a joy to watch Barcelona slaughter another team. I wouldn't say Barcelona are all-offense, it's more like all-possesion since they're so good. Other teams that attacks with full force are the La Liga giants like Valencia, Sevilla, or Atletico. They play pretty good, too.

I know it's extremely hard to make pinpoint passes consistently, I think that probably one of the hardest things to do in football, pass well, because there are so many failed chances that are a whisker away from goal sometimes.

But the point being is...how do you defend such an attack? It's not playing 4 guys on Messi or 11 men in the box..it's pure defensive football. I think there is difference watching the two: one where you can watch the attack play, they score a few goals and they're up a few goals, but you can leave the TV. Where the other type (defensive), you need to watch the entire game to fully understand.

Let's face it, attacking is far easier than defending. Defense even takes more precision than attack, you need to be able to throw yourself to the ball yet not getting penalized for doing(aka a handball or a harsh tackle). And how do can you quickly read an attack when they're cornering you from every angle. To me, there is much much much more pressure for a team to defend than to attack.

Another difference is that you can go to youtube, type in a good attacking goal, and it's there. Even amazing chances that do make it into the back of the net are there on youtube. However, you probably won't find many times where the defence successfly clears out a ball or when Puyol makes an extraordinary tackle that saves an attack.

Here's a real life example: When Barcelona played Inter Milan on their first CL game of the 09-10 season, I couldn't watch the whole game because I was at school. So when I got home and I live streamed it, I knew what Barcelona's stratgey was in an instant when they had the ball, to ATTACK!!! Now Inter, I needed a few moments to see what they're doing, because Mourinho is more suited to attack than defence. But I got: Inter would let Barcelona get comfortable around the box, they'd let them go in and when someone like Dani Alves or Iniesta crosses it, they'd suddenly pull the midfielders like Muntari or Motta into the box to clear it out. Genius!!! That's why Barcelona didn't score a goal.

So the other point I want to make is that the Barcelona fans or any fan of a team that plays with more attack (La Liga) should give lots of respect to defensive teams, because how do you stop Barcelona and all their great players from getting a goal in the first place. Does this mean I'm going to stop supporting Barcelona and "Argentina" and start supporting a team like Milan or Italy that play with super-defense (or Germany, they have an Über-defence)? No, of course not. Barcelona is my first team and they will be my last. But I really find it annoying when other Barcelona fans rant on this style of footy just because they couldn't score on them :)

So this might be extremely pointless to some of you, but I just wanted to get this off my chest.
Update: @Dubya: No, you're missing the whole point. Not once I mentioned CHELSEA. I even pointed out defensive football is not 11 men in one box like Chelsea was. You always say this stuff and you really don't get it. It was an aggregate, so Chelsea did what they needed to do at Camp Nou: pressure Barcelona by... show more @Dubya: No, you're missing the whole point. Not once I mentioned CHELSEA. I even pointed out defensive football is not 11 men in one box like Chelsea was. You always say this stuff and you really don't get it. It was an aggregate, so Chelsea did what they needed to do at Camp Nou: pressure Barcelona by not letting them score at Camp Nou and they will have to score at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea's tactis were cheakp but they just wanted to work, and how was Essien's volley lucky? Iniesta's goal was more lucky than Essien's, no offense.

Dude, Sevilla didn't play Barcelona off the park. Barcelona had Milito and Chygrynskiy at centre backs, both not good centre backs, Sevilla is going to score. If attacking football is the key to beat Barcelona then how come no one in La Liga beat them yet.

You're missing the point, I never brought up Chelsea, I'm talking about real defence like Serie A, apparently a ghost league to most users around here.
Update 2: I also don't like it when Barcelona fans say "Oh you don't attack, wahh, play like a man, wahh". It's their tactics, leave them alone, you don't see anyone saying "Barcelona presses too much, stop attacking!" Inter...that was good tactics in both legs, except Barcelona is far... show more I also don't like it when Barcelona fans say "Oh you don't attack, wahh, play like a man, wahh". It's their tactics, leave them alone, you don't see anyone saying "Barcelona presses too much, stop attacking!"

Inter...that was good tactics in both legs, except Barcelona is far better than them, plus the motivation that they almost couldn't make the next round because Rubin Kazan beat them at Camp Nou and drawed at home.

The point in this Q was to actually respect the defensive football, something that is almost a sin to talk about here. Milan and Juve in 2003 would have been another great example, and I hope you didn't take a nap through that match.

The other point that football is the most beautiful thing to watch, and defensive football...you actually have to watch the entire game to see who wins, you can go on youtube and see Barcelona's goals/chances and they are there.

So before you say a rude comment like GT(fudge)OH to Chelsea, actualy read the question first.