Can a goalkeeper take a throw in ?

I must admit its something I can't recall ever seeing before or thinking about. But during an African Nations Cup match the goalkeeper took the throw instead of one of the outfield players.

I didn't know that he could do this . I thought he was only allowed to handle the ball in his own area ?

Can't it be interpreted as him handling the ball outside his area ? There again the ball is not in play as such :)

Yes he can

I am a goalkeeper myself, and I have took one before :)

But of course, very bad result if it goes wrong !

It would need to be some throw if that were to happen!! I reckon it's just the same rules as a throw-in, a player has to touch it before it enters the goal, even via a slight deflection.

It is no different than a field player taking the throw in so of course he can.

Absolutely, but I can't imagine a situation where he would without driving his manager berserk!

• Nick

He can,but they dont cause one mistake and there is a nice big gaping net with no keeper in...

My pet redneck has bingo wings

yes he can