I want to be a Zoologist what qualifications do I need?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
What Degree do I need to be one and what universities do the Degree course?

How much does a Zoologist expect to earn?

Thanks everyone
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Most research zoologists work at universities where they teach classes in addition to conducting their own research. Others are employed by zoos, museums, government agencies, and private businesses.

The average salary for biologists and related scientists, including zoologists, is somewhere between $55,000 and $70,000 a year. However, salaries can range from just under $30,000 to upwards of $100,000 a year, depending on the type of position the zoologist holds and his or her level of education. Zoologists with a bachelor’s degree earn the lowest salaries, while those who have a master's degree can make significantly more.

With a PhD, a zoologist can become the curator of a zoo, or obtain a research position at a university. University professors make about $66,000 a year on average, though they can make anywhere from $40,000 to $140,000 a year. However, this type of position takes many years of experience to qualify for and there are very few of them available. As a university professor, a zoologist’s opportunities for career advancement depend on his or her level of success as a researcher.

The amount of education you need for a career in zoology depends on the position you wish to hold. If you have a bachelor’s degree in biology or zoology you may be able to get a job as a field or lab technician. However, most zoologists have a graduate degree.

With a master's degree in biology, zoology, or a related discipline, you may be able to get certain research positions in government or industry, or you could become a research assistant to an academic zoologist. To become a research zoologist at a university, you generally need to complete a PhD program and gain some experience as a researcher.

Programs in biology are offered at most universities and some colleges across the country. Specific zoology programs are less common, but they are available. A bachelor’s degree usually takes 4 years to complete. A master’s degree typically takes 2 more years, and a PhD another 4 years.

High school students interested in a career in zoology should make sure that they have a good understanding of the basic sciences by taking courses in chemistry, biology, and physics. Mathematics, computer, and English courses would also be helpful.

Related College & University Programs

Zoology and Animal Biology
Entomology
Animal Behaviour
Wildlife Biology
Biology, General

Good public speaking skills may be required, as many zoologists give lectures to students, the public, or other scientists in their field of specialty. Good writing skills are very helpful for writing essays and reports about their research.

You should have an interest in animals, science, and technology. A willingness to travel is useful for those who need to conduct extensive field research. Zoologists should have an ability to work both independently and as part of a team.

Asker's Rating & Comment

5 out of 5
very informative thanks
  • 2
  • Comment

Other Answers (3)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Daniel John answered 4 years ago
    I have a friend who works at a Zoo, she has her B.S in Biology. I'm not sure her title is Zoologist though. Generally speaking, you need graduate school to be an "ologist." A Plant Biologist would have a B.S in Biology and a Ph.D in Biology. (I have an uncle who is a plant biologist, he has his BS/MS, without a doctorate, but I think most have their doctorate now) A Zoologist would probably also have their B.S and Ph.D. (for many Ph.D. programs you have to do a Master's degree as well, but many in the sciences are combined M.S/Ph.D) I'd imagine you could also do a B.S then Veteranary school, focusing on large animal medicine.

Source(s):

Wanderer
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Flyboy answered 4 years ago
    Pretty obvious A degree in Zoology!
    Not many jobs out there, one could try conservation projects, Zoos, museums etc.
    Money will depend on the job.
    Perhaps someone with a good honours degree may get c £25,000 to start.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • SLF answered 4 years ago
    wouldn't you need a degree in Zoology, or am I just being naive? I don't believe they earn terribly much - it's one of those jobs you do for the love of it.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock