Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Jehovah's Witnesses, questions on the wise men and Jesus' birth?

The Watchtower magazine of Dec. 2009 implied in an article that the wise men were not sent by God because they were astrologers. It implied that trouble came about because of the visit to the toddler Jesus. I am confused. Also, how about the star?

Alright, even if Jesus was born in Spring or June, the angels came and sang and told the Shepherds that he was born. Doesn't that indicate that it's good to remember the reason and hope of Jesus' birth?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best answer

Wow, Just to start off we do have to remember that the Jehovah's Witnesses do not like anyone who worships Jesus. Secondly, when has the Jehovah's witnesses ever followed sound bible teachings? With this is mind lets take a closer look at their non biblical claims.

They seem to think the the Magi were Pagan.

They seem to think that this star led them to Jerusalem first then to Bethlehem.

They propose that the star is the evil work of Satan.

Lets explore what the bible really says!

Matthew 2:

1After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2and asked, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him."

1. Time period - AFTER Jesus was born, during the time of King Herod.

2. The Magi, from the east. Came to Jerusalem and asked "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? Whom did they ask this from? Not King Herod as he heard it later and assembled together all the people's chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Christ was to be born.

Does the scripture tell us that the followed the star to Jerusalem? No it does not, all it says is that they saw his star in the east and they have come to worship him.

Are these Magi Pagans? Why would a Pagan come to Worship Jesus? They would not, so are the Magi Pagan, clearly they are not Pagan.

Now when King Herod heard of this he assembled the chief priests and teachers of the law and asked them where this Christ was to be born. They told him of what the prophet has written: 6" 'But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,

are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;

for out of you will come a ruler

who will be the shepherd of my people Israel

Now King Herod is mad, disturbed, upset. What does he do. He summons the Magi in secret and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. 8He sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and make a careful search for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him."

Are they working for King Herod at this time or have they been lied to? Is King Herod being deceptive here? Yes and Yes.

So back to this Star, where did the Magi see the star. FROM the east or IN the east? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him." Easy answer, they saw it in the east. Did they follow it, the bible is silent on that matter. If the saw it from the east I would say that they followed it and the JW's would have a valid point, but it say they saw his star "in the east" so I don't think they followed it. I think they followed the words of the prophet, knowing the Christ, King was going to be born in Bethlehem. But they traveled long and they saw the star after Jesus had been born. So they stop in Jerusalem. Why would they stop in Jerusalem? Maybe because the temple and the priests and they could ask and find out where this Christ is. Thinking that these people should know as they are from the same religion, they worship the same God. But anyhow, King Herod, by deception, has instructed them to find this Christ and then come back to him and let him know so that he too may worship him. What would the Magi think about this. They thought this is what they came for and this is what the King wants, to worship the Christ. That's cool, everything is good.

They embark to Bethlehem and the star they had seen in the east ( not from the east) went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh. 12And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route.

Back to the star again, the saw it in the east but not after until they left to find Jesus in Bethlehem. There was not a switch of Direction. Not at all, the star became present again and went ahead of them and stopped over the place where the child was. I suspect it was not the star that stopped but the light beam coming from the star. Then what did the Magi do? They bowed down and worshiped Jesus and then gave him his presents.

Did they go back to King Herod? No they were warned in a dream not to go back to Herod. So they left, using a different route. Why do you think they used a different route? I don't think they wanted this Christ Killed and they thought that King Herod may have his soldiers nearby in wait.

So is the star the work of Satan, there is absolutely no indication that the star led anyone other then the Magi to Jesus. Were the Magi, Pagan or bad people. No indication that they were Pagan or bad people, in fact quit the opposite. They were good people.

The meaning they, the JW's, use in the case of "astrologers", is not the meaning set forth in Scripture. To assume that the passage that the JW's use condemnns the practice of Astrology itself is a misinterpretation of the true meaning of this biblical prophesy. If this is taken to "condemn" Astrology then, by the same misguided logic, one would have to say that it also condemns "merchants".

The context is clear in Matthew 2: The Magi are good people and the JW's want to condem them. Whom else wishes to do that? That's who's behind the JW misrepresentation of the Scriptures.

Numbers 24:17 "I see him, but not now;

I behold him, but not near.

A star will come out of Jacob;

a scepter will rise out of Israel.

He will crush the foreheads of Moab,

the skulls of all the sons of Sheth.

Unless Satan wrote the bible, the Bible tells us the the Star is fortold and form God.

• 10 years ago

We know the astrologers were not sent by God because astrology is among the things that the Bible condemns- Isaiah 47:13 & 14. The star led them first to King Herod who was agitated at the news that a new "king of the Jews" had been born - Matthew 2:1-3. He then sent them to find out Jesus' location so that he could kill him. The star then led them to Jesus who was now several months old and living in a house- Matthew 2: 9-ll. Now, why would God lead them to Jesus, knowing that Herod sent them with the intention of finding Jesus to do him harm? The source of the star, then, could be none other than Satan who would stop at nothing to harm God's son. But Jehovah God, of course, intervened and warned the astrologers not to return to King Herod- Matthew 2:12.

Although the exact date of Jesus' birth is unknown, there is reason to believe that it was in September/ October. God announced Jesus' birth to His servants to let them know of the long awaited arrival of the Messiah, which no doubt brought much joy and relief- Luke 2:8-14. Even though Jesus' birth was important, his death and life course are what are to be remembered. After all, his birthday is not found anywhere in the Bible, but the date he instituted the Lord's Evening Meal in remembrance of his death is given. That is why Jehovah's Witnesses around the world commemorate this event every year on the anniversary of this night just as Jesus instructed us to "keep doing this in remembrance of me".- Luke 22:19&20. For more information, please visit www.watchtower.org.

• 10 years ago

The article was not confusing.

The account at Matthew 2:1-11 from the King James Bible: “Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem . . . And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother.”

Notice that the account states just “wise men,” not “three wise men,” and that they first traveled from the east to Jerusalem, not to the birth city of Jesus, Bethlehem. By the time they finally reached Bethlehem, Jesus was a “young child”—no longer a baby—and no longer in a stable but in a house.

Also, while the King James Bible uses the words “wise men” in describing these visitors, other translations use “Magi” or “astrologers.” According to A Handbook on the Gospel of Matthew, the expression “wise men” translates “a Greek noun which originally referred to Persian priests who were experts in astrology.” And The Expanded Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words defines the word as “a wizard, sorcerer, a pretender to magic powers, a professor of the arts of witchcraft.”

Although astrology and witchcraft are still popular today, the Bible warns against their use. (Isaiah 47:13-15) They are forms of spiritism and are practices that Jehovah God abhors. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12)

I am curious where it says in the bible that 'the angels came and sang'

and....

If it was a real bright star that led them, why didnt everybody else see it?

Why did the star lead the astrologers to Jerusalem and not to where Jesus was?

Why should we continue to perpetuate the remembrance of Jesus as a weak baby - when in reality he is a mighty spirit being?

• 10 years ago

You must understand that the cult has shown time and time again it doesn't really ever study the Bible and in fact inserts personal opinion as biblical fact. Not a single Jw ever really studies the Bible but only ever reads a few select verses that the Watchtower has told them to read to support an article in a Watchtower pubication. Ususally the scripture is put out of context or has been altered in thier NWT Bible.

God prophesied through Jeremiah that there would be a slaughter of Jewish children. God already knew that He would have to send His Son into Egypt for safety as Hosea prophesied in Hosea 11:1 "Out of Egypt I called my Son." To provide for the trip and the stay in Egypt God divinely directed a group of men of financial means to the land of Israel.

When the wise men lost sight of the star that had led them, they searched for help to find the one who was born king. Herod, pretending to be helping the wise men, secretly was planning to destroy God's chosen king. But the wise men having received instruction on the birth place of the Messiah from the chief priest's rejoiced with great joy when they saw the star once again and it led them directly to the Messiah. They presented the young child with very costly gifts and then after receiving divine direction from God in a dream not to return to Herod, they were obedient and returned home another way.

Through these obedient wise men, the family of Jesus had the necessary financial provisions for their flight into Egypt and their extended stay in that land that had been prophesied hundreds of years before by God Himself. The wise men were not the cause of the deaths of many Jewish baby boys, Herod was. The wise men were the divinely directed provision for Jesus' trip into Egypt. If you are a Jehovah's Witness, we ask you, don't you think that if Jehovah had not wanted the wise men to find Jesus He would have hidden Jesus from the wise men in the same way that He hid Jesus from Herod?

God Bless!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

I'm not JW, but, I have the very issue you are mentioning. But, it is Awake, not Watchtower.

It claims that satan sent the wisemen. Satan wanted to lure Herod to kill baby Jesus.

The star was manufactured and controlled by satan, to guide the maji (magicians, astrologers) to Jesus.

If you are confused about this, then jump for joy.

Because it's all a bunch of hooey.

The true Bible clearly states the star of Bethlehem was from God, to announce the birth of Jesus. An angel appeared to the shepards to announce the same thing.

And, yes, no matter when Jesus was actually born (we don't know the exact date) it is good to honor Him and thank the Father for sending Him.

Be very careful what you learn from JW.

A lot of their teachings are correct.

But, too many of them are complete blasphemy.

• 10 years ago

Everything happened the way the Bible foretold about it and recorded it after the fact.Do not pay attention to Jehovah's Witnesses, they are false teachers

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

they also said the world ended in 1962...

so it doesnt matter because the world is destroyed :D

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.