What's are the differences between Judo and Japanese Jujitsu?

I do jujitsu, and hold the same belt in Judo (even though I don't take Judo classes). We use the same throws, hold-downs, etc. My instructors - who trained in Judo for years before moving onto Jujitsu - tell me Judo is just Jujitsu without the nasty bits in. Is this true? Can anyone elaborate on this?... show more I do jujitsu, and hold the same belt in Judo (even though I don't take Judo classes). We use the same throws, hold-downs, etc.

My instructors - who trained in Judo for years before moving onto Jujitsu - tell me Judo is just Jujitsu without the nasty bits in. Is this true? Can anyone elaborate on this?

Also, I've read a number of articles which give me the impression that Jujitsu used to be trained in a very different way, with the throws being more brutal (i.e. opponent lands on their head instead of their back, or stomping down on a knee ligament instead of sweeping the leg). If this is the case, then I suppose it's fair to assume Jujitsu has only become more like Judo in recent times.

Don't reply if you're just going to say 'jujitsu includes strikes', etc. please. That much I know.

Detailed answers from anyone knowledgeable on the subject are appreciated!
Update: Judomofo - we do plenty of groundwork and have randori at the end of each lesson.

I'm told the style I'm learning is Tai Hen Jutsu or something like that. By the way no need to get snippy about the name... I thought you could spell it either way.