? asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What do you do to keep your dog warm in cold weather conditions?

I live in Florida and I own a Labrador retriever and it's going to be 49°, and 30° tomorrow night. My dog seems to be cold... he's laying in the dirt in our backyard near our house, so we put a shirt on him. I'm just wondering do these type of dogs get cold in this type of weather? Is the dirt warm to these dogs?

(he has a dog house)

(everytime we give him a sheet or quilts he just tares them up and we have a mess to clean up in the morning.)

Favorite Answer

Our dog is a short-haired dog who we keep indoors except for walks and bathroom breaks during the winter. We're in Pennsylvania and right now we have quite deep snow. We have everything from tee shirts to raincoats to coats resembling ski jackets for her, but it's much colder here.

If your dog is an outdoor dog, he needs shelter, a doghouse preferably. If he's an indoor dog, he should be okay to just go out for periodic breaks.

That is hardly cold.

Florida: If you have an outside dog, he needs a dog house. It doesn't have to be insulated for Florida but he needs a house. It should sit on the ground but be on 2x4s. Throw some old blankets in there.

For your weather that will be fine.

I would bet the dirt has held the heat from the day sun.

I am having the same problem but Im in South Texas and tonight...... 40's and 30's

I cannot bring him inside because he's to rambunctious. I am worried, If he comes in, he'll

really mess things up. I feel your pain. He doesn't have a dog house but a walled in patio and a

gazeebo in the back, although the floors of these areas are tiled and have large window areas with only iron bars keeping out the wind. ugh!!!! What do we do?

Labrador retriever, breed of large sporting dog whose origins are obscure but whose immediate ancestors were developed in Newfoundland and brought to England in the early 1800s. It stands about 23 in. (58.4 cm) high at the shoulder and weighs between 60 and 75 lb (27.2-34.1 kg). The dense, short coat is flat and oily, providing great resistance to cold weather and icy water. Its color may be black, chocolate, or yellow. The Labrador retriever is widely used to hunt both waterfowl and upland game birds; its loyal and gentle disposition has made it very popular as a companion dog.

• umm if its going to be that cold i would bring him inside to keep warm i honestly think its mean to keep dogs out side 24/7 while evertone else is inside having fun your dog must be very bored

get a dog house and a thick dog bed and some old blankets and use a heat pad for lizards and put it between the dog bed and 2 blankets folded it will keep him warm and not burn him

Labs are hardy animals, but they need shelter & a little straw. A large plastic barrel placed on it's side will work if you can't afford a fancy doghouse, or even a wooden structure with just sides & a roof.

Our dogs are house dogs so they stay inside, except to go out to do their business

Source(s): me and my dogs

we have 5 larger dogs that stay outside in temps colder than yours. actually they have a somewhat heated building with hay for bedding and they can cuddle up together. One of the dogs is a livestock guardian dog(great pyrenees) who sleeps in the barn with our goats. sometimes one or more of the other dogs will join her and the goats.

labrador retreivers have thick coats, it keeps them warm, but i would at least get him a dog house if you cant get him inside.

Bring him inside.