Why is it so hard to find a restaurant that will serve clams on the half-shell?

I love eating raw clams and it's almost impossible to find them anywhere anymore. Everyone wants to steam, fry, bake, barbecue etc them.

I was always able to find them when I lived in NY. In Florida it's next to impossible unless you shuck them yourself.

Favorite Answer

I've never seen one that had them I know several places that serve oysters on the half but not clams.. I eat raw oysters all the time! LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!!

• mark

Because your typical 18 year old restaurant employee is not experienced in opening raw shelfish. It is a skill and takes time. In fact, the labor is as much a reason for the price of raw seafood as the seafood itself.

Cities close to the ocean are most likely to have these kind of establishments. I know they are easily found in the Northeast US. Clams and Oysters like cold waters and are more common in states with cold water than in the south. They are also better from the Atlantic than the Pacific. The Atlantic ocean has a higher salinity level than the Pacific and clams like this.

You need to find a Raw Bar.