Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Should I go around town get all the left overs from gas station delis and give to homeless?

The gas stations in my town throw away any food not solid that day at 6:00PM. wondering if I should drive around town and get all of it. they let you have it for free so why not? Got 7 burgers,9 cheese burgers, two 12" pizzas and 17 biscuits(with meat, egg and cheese!) tonight from one spot alone for free.

I'm thinking it's all made fresh every day. I had 3 of the biscuits and they was great!

Favorite Answer

I agree. It would be a great thing. You still have to comply with health regulations, or the deli's will take the heat. The best thing would be to arrange in advance with a shelter for the homeless or a food bank to receive such goods from you, so they know where it is coming from. The food should also have dates and times on them so you don't poison anyone.

You should tell your politicians that a food donations like that needs to be a tax deduction where everyone wins, not land fill.

• Frank

Yes, providing you emphasise to the recipients that it must be eaten that day. Without fridges it will go off quicker than it would for you in your home.

There is far too much food wastage these days and, providing these foods are stored correctly and depending on what foods they are, they will be fine for a couple more days, but not in the circumstances you refer to. Cooked foods will keep for longer after the date printed on them than will fresh/raw foods. Be particularly wary of dairy products. I hope it works out for you because it is a far better use of the food than it ending up in a bin somewhere.

Our nearest gas station doesn't give it away, they sell it at half price the next day and reduce it further the day after that so they, obviously, know it keeps a little longer than the printed date.

Nick, you generalise too much. There are many homeless people who are in that position through no fault of their own. It could happen to you one day. None of us know what the future holds so don't be so judgemental please.

Absolutely. I gave one of my houses rent free to a homeless family until they get back on their feet. If we all give a little we can make the world a better place for many.

I know they might have been trying to sell that stuff up until 6 pm, but who knows how long it has been sitting out. I guess when you're hungry you're hungry, but I'd make sure to take proper precautions before distributing the food. Since it is all hot stuff, make sure you have a way to keep it hot to distribute.

The homeless would not go to sleep hungry. Go ahead, distribute the food.

I think that is a great idea. I hate that some people are so ready to sue! If the food isn't bad then you should do it.

It's illegal, What about liabilities if someone gets sick

We have to throw out a lot of unopened food for that very reason

Use your common sense

NO because homeless people expect people to do things like that for them. and they dont have to work because people give them free food and theres a thing called getting "fat while homeless". it may seem bad to say no but they got them selves into they should get themselves out

• thing

Sounds like a good idea. Go for it!

Go for it. As long as the food is still good, you get it directly from the gas station, and not expired or rotten.

Source(s): agnostic atheist