Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

R&P -- as this decade is coming to a close...?

Let's all try to remember the 00's for the Strokes and the White Stripes and not 3OH!3 and the Jonas Brothers!

^^^Not my actual question, but I hope it can be done. My question: how do you think the 00's compared to the other decades of music? The 90's? 80's? Do you think we did just as good?

Also, name your favorite song, album, and band that emerged from the 00's. Let's all remember the highlights of the 00's and not the ... other stuff.

BQ - favorite decade for music?

BQ2 - how do you think the 10's (it's like we're back 1910 again) will be, music wise?

BQ3 - what 00 band(s) do you think will be remembered 50+ years from now?

HAPPY NEWISH YEAR GUYS!

I'm not simply going to say the '00s has been one of the worst decades in music for awhile, because maybe it actually wasn't. Although I don't believe these past ten years in music were actually a blessing in disguise, perhaps there's still worse to come. At least there was some level of diversity, the creation of Youtube, the iPod and sites where listeners could easily discover new music with the click of a mouse.

I'm going to admit that I don't know much about '80s music besides the fact that it had pop and hair metal. However, I also know that decade produced some highly respected hard rock/heavy metal bands. This was when MTV was new and music had started "to take over the world" maybe.

The '90s was one of my favorite musical decades because my favorite genre of music is alternative rock and grunge was a short but sweet era to me. Although pop rap had an early lead at the end of 1989 and spilled over ito '90 and '91, somehow a different style of rock music pushed its way into the mainstream. By the time grunge was slipping off the charts, more bands with more unique and diverse styles emerged to combat the rap songs/albums that were topping the charts. Unfortunately, by the last two years of the '90s, pop radio listeners had succumbed to the likes of Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys and Hanson.

The '00s cannot compare to either of those decades because it lacks the influential and lasting musicians, but it was an interesting decade for music. This may sound cheesy and nostalgic, but music basically continues to decline each decade for me. ='(

Favorite '00s song: "Bandages" - Hot Hot Heat

Album: Santigold - Santigold

Band: TV on the Radio

BQ: the '60s

BQ2: Yeah, I can already tell the '10s are going to unpredictable. Hopefully certain artists vanish cough*Britney Spears*cough and others start to get the respect and attention they actually deserve. Maybe a new band/artist will come along and blow us all away....

BQ3: Most of the garage rock revival bands like the ones you listed. Some indie/alternative. Also, pretty much any of the emo bands -- blah! But only slightly....

Hope you have a Happy New Year too! Sorry for the long post. XD

honestly i think its the best decade in a long time. the 80s and 90s were all about musical oligopolies consolidating power, merging with each other and buying all the little labels, the 00s were about the big labels failing, loosing money, suing their customers, getting caught price fixing, etc. while independent labels and vinyl are thriving and the internet is breaking the control that big labels once had over distribution. it was a rough decade in some ways but the change is very positive coming out the other side IMO. you may like some music from the 80s and 90s but what went on from the business side really hurt music in the long run. what went on with the business side this decade is helping music and should continue to do so in the long run.

song: jim murple memorial- qui que l'on soit

album: tom waits- real gone

artist: sharon jones and the dap kings

BQ- 50s

BQ2- great

• Joe B

Favorite decade was the 80's. Thrash, NWOBHM, guns n roses, return of aerosmith

The 10's will be ok, the same as the 00's. Decent music that is pretty much stock and repackaged.

No 00's bands will be revered 50+ years from now. I'm sure some will be remembered but not as extremely important.

00s can't be compared to any other decade (music wise) . There has been some good stuff , and lots of rubbish music , that - I hope - will be forgotten eventually .

fave song - Stop Crying Your Heart Out - Oasis ('02)

album - Journal For Plague Lovers - Manic Street Preachers ('09)

band - Franz Ferdinand

BQ: late 80s , 90s , early 70s

BQ2: I have no idea , we'll see .. but I'm optimistic

BQ3: Muse ,maybe .. that's really hard to tell

Happy new year to you, too (:

• ?

This decade was a terrible decade in music overall. As rock ruled the 90's, once we hit the 2000's, rock gave way to pop. I guess its this new generation that actually thinks pop is music. If you think about it, pop in the, say, 80s was great. It was artists like Michael Jackson and Prince. Now its Lady Gaga and Hannah Montana. And everybody seems to actually like them. So in a broad view, this decade was bad for music.

Song - Dosed by Red Hot Chili Peppers (wouldn't you know its a 90's band)

Album - Stadium Arcadium

Band - White Stripes, Audioslave, or Jimmy Eat World

BQ - 90's, then 70s, then I guess 00s is up there because to go along with all the terrible music I spoke of, there were also a lot of great rock groups that emerged

BQ2 - I think it will start by getting worse, but maybe somewhere in there another Kurt Cobain will come and bring rock to the mainstream

BQ3 - Probably none. There are amazing bands that are playing today, but most of them started in the 90s (Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers)

• J

i like music from 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s better than 00 music. but nobody can deny that alot of great music came out of this decade.

fave band: No Age

fave album: Dinosaur Jr - Farm

fave song: No Age - Eraser

BA: 80's

BA2: either ore of the same or a huge indie explosion

BA3: The Strokes, Muse, White Stripes, Radiohead, etc. althoguh the only band i like out of those is Radiohead

happy new year!!!!

Naive from the album Inside In/Inside Out by The Kooks

BQ: 60's

BQ2: I don't even wanna think about it

BQ3: Unfortunately, all the bad ones.. You can't deny that people won't remember the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus, it will be the ones with enough sense to try and forget.

2000's was a lot more different than it were in the 1990's

"First Time" by IMX

BQ: 1980's

BQ2: 2010's music will be similar to mix of late 1990's and 2000's music

BQ3: La Quinta Estacion

• Nick

Musically, this decade SUCKED. It really did. I just hope it gets better this next decade.