Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why are Jews allowed to mutilate a newborn child's genitalia?

Just to be clear, all the above acts are despicable, whoever performs them.

I just don't understand how it's considered perfectly acceptable & normal to circumsize an infant.

What if they cut off labia? Why not clitoris too? Or if the stretched your testes to the other side of your taint & stapled it on your rump??

This is truly Bizarro World.

Like, if i slapped my kids in public, i could go to jail.

But if my religion involves cutting off half my son's penis before he's old enough to make a decision himself, let alone defend it...well then that's okay.

If Satanists did something like, say, nipple piercing on children, they'd be locked in cages & traduced by the media.

This is truly Bizarro World.

**After reading several replies after the 1st, i honestly dunno why i ask questions like this.

I should just go ask about Angelina Jolie's stupid new tattoo or the latest Jerry Springer.

***There is no proven health benefit to circumcision. Even if there was, it's done before the individual can even choose.

Seriously, are you people on drugs??

Your question comes from not understanding the differences between female so called circumcision & male circimcision.

Female is done to remove sexual pleasure from a woman making it either painful or nothing. It's about controlling her as property so she can't stray. It is not avocated by any religion, only but particular cultures. The medical info is only arguable that it's harmful.

Male is done because ancient cultures decreed it religiously -but- likely because they found great benefits, such as noticed life longevity. It reduces disease in the both the male & his partner, dangerous diseases such as cancer. It does not remove sexual pleasure. Men circumsized in later life for medical reasons, some will comment that they'd wished they'd had it done sooner for no medical need. The medical evidence is equality arguable both positive, & negative, & -not- argumable in an extreme in either direction.

I personally found a study at Hopkins of an aggressive cancer that showed up only in un-circumcised men of semitic background. I haven't found the page again -- but whoa. So maybe it's not so coincidential that religions coming out of semitic cultures circumcised. The jury --- and science -- is still out on this.

For those who claim humans are born perfect, if you think it's because God made us perfect then you shouldn't have a problem with the biblical commandment. If you think it's a matter of evolution, I personally would like some changes in the design. The female urinary track is prone to painful infections because of crummy layout (ask all the women who've had one.) So, a change of circumcision too, may make sense.

(If you think there's not health benefit - then do more research & don't just read onesided magazine articles about it with inflammatory pictures. There are studies that show benefits that should be considered in the overall assessment. So to flat say "no benefits" contradicts with current scientific research which has studies supporting both sides.)

Parents make health choices for their children all the time. You don't like this choice is the only difference. We get our immune system changed by vaccines, drops in our eyes within hours of birth, goop of birth taken off by nurses & not licked off by mom the natural way. Society sets norms. Circumcision was the norm in the US for a long time automatically for non-religious but for health, for a reason -- it looked to be healthy. Never heard a study showing that about nipple piercing.

• Debbie

Jewish circumcision involves removing a tiny bit of skin from the baby boys penis,this will not affect its function in any way at all.

Jews do not and never have cut off labia and clitoris because Judaism does not circumcise baby girls.

I too don't know why you bother asking questions like this as you clearly want to insult people rather then actually listen to their answers.

Source(s): Orthodox Jewish mother of two daughters both obviously uncircumcised.

Like so many Jewish commandments, the brit milah is commonly perceived to be a hygienic measure; however the biblical text states the reason for this commandment quite clearly: circumcision is an outward physical sign of the eternal covenant between G-d and the Jewish people. It is also a sign that the Jewish people will be perpetuated through the circumcised man. The health benefits of this practice are merely incidental. It is worth noting, however, that circumcised males have a lower risk of certain cancers, and the sexual partners of circumcised males also have a lower risk of certain cancers.

http://www.jewfaq.org/birth.htm

I'm catholic and i was circumsized. It's not just a jewish thing you know.

And honestly I'm glad i was circumsized because my dick looks normal. Like everyone elses where i live.

Okay I see some people have this misconception of circumcision.

YOU ARE NOT CUTTING OFF HALF THE PENIS. They simply remove extra skin. You dont need it so why have it.

I swear I went to schol with idiots who thought that circumcision mean cutting off the mushroom tip.

I'm circumsized and I have that. Get your facts straight before you start bashing something

• LJM

It would be a good idea for you to do some research about the health benefits of circumcision. Don't remain in the dark ages concerning knowledge of why circumcision is not only for a certain religion; but is a good health decision for all.

My son is circumcised. No one took off half of his penis. Same with his dad, his is still all there too. Besides, now circumcision is more for health reasons than anything. I am nothing close to Jewish and all the kids in my family have had this done.

It's their tradition and the western world accepts it. A lot of non-Jew Americans have their kids circumcised for sanitary reasons. Nipple piercing is pointless.

Actually many male porn stars get circumcised for hygienic purposes, and most aren't religious. And yes, it is just the foreskin.

• Barney

Circumcision is not cutting off half of the penis. It is only the foreskin. This was a requirement that God placed upon the people of Israel when he set them aside as his chosen people. You will find this article from the book "Insight On The Scriptures" enlightening. There are many references to scriptures in the Bible. You would do well to get a Bible and look these scriptures up.

CIRCUMCISION

The removal of the prepuce, or foreskin, from the male penis. The Hebrew verb mul (circumcise) is used in a literal and a figurative sense. The Greek noun pe·ri·to·me′ (circumcision) literally means “a cutting around.” (Joh 7:22) “Uncircumcision” is rendered from the Greek term a·kro·by·sti′a, which was used in the Greek Septuagint to translate the Hebrew word for “foreskin.”—Ro 2:25; Ge 17:11, LXX.

Jehovah God made circumcision mandatory for Abraham in 1919 B.C.E., a year before Isaac’s birth. God said: “This is my covenant that you men will keep . . . Every male of yours must get circumcised.” Every male in Abraham’s household of both his descendants and dependents was included, and so Abraham, his 13-year-old son Ishmael, and all his slaves took upon themselves this “sign of the covenant.” New slaves brought in also had to be circumcised. From then on, any male of the household, slave or free, was to be circumcised the eighth day after birth. Disregard for this divine requirement was punishable by death.—Ge 17:1, 9-14, 23-27.

Circumcision was practiced in Egypt, as is illustrated in wall paintings and observed in mummies, but it is uncertain when it was first introduced in that country and to what extent it was performed. Some say that Joseph as food administrator introduced it to Egypt. Others cite Herodotus as authority for their claim that Abraham simply borrowed the custom from the Egyptians. Answering these latter claims, W. M. Thomson says: “As to the testimony of Herodotus, who came into Egypt fifteen centuries after, and, with great learning and research, often writes a good deal of nonsense, I refuse utterly to put it in the same category with that of Moses. The great founder of the Jewish commonwealth—the greatest lawgiver on record—born and bred in Egypt, states the facts in relation to the introduction of circumcision among his people. A mere traveller and historian—a foreigner and a Greek—comes along very much later, and makes statements which are partly true, partly erroneous, as Josephus shows in his answer to Apion; and then sceptical authors, more than twenty centuries later than Herodotus, bring up his imperfect statements, and, twisting and expanding them, attempt to prove that Abraham did not receive circumcision from God (as Moses plainly says he did), but from the Egyptians! Not with such weapons can the veracity of Moses be successfully assailed.”—The Land and the Book, revised by J. Grande, 1910, p. 593.

Not only did the Egyptians practice circumcision but the Moabites, the Ammonites, and the Edomites also did. (Jer 9:25, 26) Later, the Samaritans that adhered to the requirements set out in the Pentateuch were also circumcised. On the other hand, the Assyrians, the Babylonians, the Greeks, and notably the Philistines did not practice circumcision. The latter in particular, rather than the Canaanites in general, are derogatorily spoken of as “the uncircumcised,” and it was from fighting with them that trophies of foreskins were brought.—Jg 14:3; 15:18; 1Sa 14:6; 17:26; 18:25-27; 2Sa 1:20; 1Ch 10:4.

Abraham’s descendants through Isaac and Jacob faithfully kept the covenant of circumcision. “Abraham proceeded to circumcise Isaac his son when eight days old, just as God had commanded him.” (Ge 21:4; Ac 7:8; Ro 4:9-12) The great-grandsons of Abraham told Shechem and his fellow townsmen: “We cannot possibly . . . give our sister [Dinah] to a man who has a foreskin . . . Only on this condition can we give consent to you, that you become like us, by every male of yours getting circumcised.” (Ge 34:13-24) Apparently because Moses neglected to circumcise his son, he incurred God’s wrath until his wife Zipporah did it for him.—Ex 4:24-26; see ZIPPORAH.

Circumcision Under the Law. Circumcision was made a mandatory requirement of the Mosaic Law. “On the eighth day [after the birth of a male] the flesh of his foreskin will be circumcised.” (Le 12:2, 3) So important was it that, if the eighth day fell on the highly regarded Sabbath, circumcision was to be performed anyway. (Joh 7:22, 23) Examples of parents under this Law who faithfully had their children circumcised on the eighth day include the parents of John the Baptizer, Jesus, and Paul. (Lu 1:59; 2:21; Php 3:4, 5) The Law also required aliens to be circumcised before they were allowed to eat the passover.—Ex 12:43-48.

Why did the Law specify that circumcision be done on the eighth day?

Jehovah did not explain, nor was it necessary that he do so. His ways are always right; his

Source(s): The Bible Insight On The Scriptures

half of his penis? well there's an exaggeration!

circumcision is not just done for religious purposes. many non Jewish people circumsize their baby boys for hygienic purposes. my mom always says its a good thing they did it to my dad as he infrequently washes LOL