What is the meaning behind the travelling buddha statue?

I have a buddha statue. He is laughing, carrying a sack on his back and holding what looks like a leaf. Can anyone tell me the meaning behind it please.

• P'ang

Chances are that your statue represents Budai/Putai, a 10th century Chinese monk who is sometimes known as the "Laughing Buddha."

In East Asia, Budai is celebrated for his ability to bring good fortune. His large sack carries goodies for all people. He is also thought to be an incarnation of Maitreya, the "Future Buddha" who will appear some time in the . . . future!

Here are a couple of images of Budai - you can see if these look anything like your figure:

http://www.npm.gov.tw/exh94/form9407/english/image...

http://www.fengshuicrazy.net/wp-content/uploads/20...

Buddha Statue Meaning

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avxr0

Buddhism statues in Tibetan Buddhism and Shingon Buddhism (Lower Tantra spread from China to Japan) and those statues placed in China and Japan Temples as objects of revered focus have meanings. Those meaning depending on, such as where they display mudras, how they stand, their clothing or lack of clothing or jewelries, what Dharma items they hold in their hands, what types of beings they stood upon represent certain meanings particular to that statues. Budai statues- which is one of emanations of Maitreya Bodhisattva appeared in China long ago, had became objects of popular culture; mainly represent luck and fortune, many times how these statues display itself no longer has any definitive meaning. These statues also have become an artistic expression of the artists who create these statues. Many of these artists are not devoted Buddhists, or do not have a strong Buddhism teaching, so they are not fully aware all the rules and symbolic representation in Buddhism. Sometimes simple commercial interest was enough for the merchants to make these statues, because the westerners have taken interests in these porcelain statues. Therefore, I would not put too much times to try to figure out what they mean, just like those Shaolin Kid Monks statues doing all sorts of Kung Fu moves, they do not have any definitive meaning but artistic displays. As to the site you found on the web, I think they either made up all the meanings or listed the name or moves of what the artist call their creations. I am telling the truth, or do you rather I make up something auspicious.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): meaning travelling buddha statue: https://shortly.im/pgY8c

It may not be a Buddha statue. The Chinese often have three statues representing Prosperity, Long Life and Good Fortune. It could be Prosperity or Good Fortune if it is fat. Long Life looks like a skinny old man.

• yes this is hoti

the buddha of today

when the buddha shakyamuni was leaving this earth

he said that he would return in the future

as Maitreya

hoti is the representation as seen by the crafts people of

china and japan where the spirit of the buddhas teaching

reached brought there by bodhidharma

the sack is full of toys for the children

made by hoti in his mountain home

the leaf is the leaf of the tea plant to symbolise wake-fullness

given by bodhidharma when he tore off his eye lids so as to remain awake

the eye lids are said to have grown into the tea plant

It's when I was going on my annual holiday. The leaf was to keep the sun off my bald head.