R&P: "Tis the year's midnight, and the day's". Songs for the season...?

John Donne Today is Yule, and the Winter Solstice ~ the shortest day and longest night. The Holly King is at the height of his powers. Yet, even in the depths of Winter, from tomorrow onwards the days will grow longer, as the Oak King re-gains his strength. So R&P, what songs can you offer a lonesome Pagan... show more John Donne

Today is Yule, and the Winter Solstice ~ the shortest day and longest night. The Holly King is at the height of his powers. Yet, even in the depths of Winter, from tomorrow onwards the days will grow longer, as the Oak King re-gains his strength.

So R&P, what songs can you offer a lonesome Pagan Wolfie to celebrate this festival / season?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcPS-J0H...

I don't mind if your songs have Christian or 'other' relegious themes ~ I enjoy a lot of carols and such :)

BQ : Where you are or originally come from, what are the traditions or festivities associated with this time of year?
Do you 'keep' / participate in any of them?
Update: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Thank you all for your answers :)

If I make 'personal' responses, then my Qs tend to be removed for 'chatting'... so I'll do that just before I pick the BA!
Update 2: * * * * * * * * * VT: Great song :) Smoochy: I looked-up Wendy, but again, no links, and not all that easy to get... Red: I'm aware of a little of the Newgrange mythology, and I've also heard of Hunting the Wren. We have so much great Celtic mythology in the British Isles :) Arinna: I was raised... show more * * * * * * * * *
VT: Great song :)

Smoochy: I looked-up Wendy, but again, no links, and not all that easy to get...

Red: I'm aware of a little of the Newgrange mythology, and I've also heard of Hunting the Wren. We have so much great Celtic mythology in the British Isles :)

Arinna: I was raised Anglican in a half Anglican / half Catholic family, yet I chose to become Pagan when I was about 15. I actually started out as Wiccan, but decided my beliefs were more eclectic and best suited to the 'Pagan umbrella'.
At present I'm a solitary practitioner, as all the other Pagans seem to be on the other side of London! Despite being alone, my beliefs often resonate with day-to-day life, whether that be finding a 'connection' in a piece of music, or inspiration in art, etc. You are not alone!
Update 3: GreenEyes: listening as I type {in case anyone wondered, I listen to all links you give me!}. ** enjoyed both, but esp. 'Winter'. I get the feeling that for a lot of people, Christmas Day *is* about the food, which makes a nice change from it being all about the presents. But what I mean is, it's about... show more GreenEyes: listening as I type {in case anyone wondered, I listen to all links you give me!}. ** enjoyed both, but esp. 'Winter'.
I get the feeling that for a lot of people, Christmas Day *is* about the food, which makes a nice change from it being all about the presents. But what I mean is, it's about the company that goes with sitting down to dinner, whether it be with family or friends, and the love that many people still put into cooking that meal ~ you can *taste* the love in food. I spent Boxing Day at my middle-aunty's house, and she likes to cook ~ she's British but married to a Britian-raised Italian, so she gets to enjoy cooking.

As for British traditions, being a Christian country it is still quite religious, but the older I get the clearer the Pagan roots of many things are, particularly mistletoe and holly, the idea of giving a gift, and FOOD!

Kyle: A very interesting and enjoyable piece of music. Thank you for mentioning it :)
Update 4: Listen to Death: You make a very good point there, and it's one I agree with. Depending on your religious beliefs, Christmas / Yuletide should be about celebrating the birth of Christ, or the turning of the seasons and return of the light, not about who can by the most / most expensive gifts for people.... show more Listen to Death: You make a very good point there, and it's one I agree with. Depending on your religious beliefs, Christmas / Yuletide should be about celebrating the birth of Christ, or the turning of the seasons and return of the light, not about who can by the most / most expensive gifts for people.
Personally, the only person I've spent a lot on is my Mum, because it's things she wants and she deserves them.

Darth: We have someone like that living around the corner ~ house & garden lit-up and filled with plastic tat. But not this year... either they feared the electricity bill, or the snow stopped them!
Re song: I am loving that banjo! It's giving me art inspirations...

M.Thought: Never listened to Sufjan Stevens before, so thank you for the links :)
I like his 'Amazing Grace' ~ makes me think of mountain regions. Same with 'Emmanuel', I can just picture some guy sat in a cabin picking up his banjo to just let all the 'spirit of the season' out in song...
Update 5: Mike: I've always greatly enjoyed both 'California Dreaming' and 'Hazy Shade of Winter'. but I've never heard the others before... 'Winter Time' is very laid back, and reminds me of sleepy long car journeys! Not sure about 'Lady Winter', but I rather liked 'Winter... show more Mike: I've always greatly enjoyed both 'California Dreaming' and 'Hazy Shade of Winter'. but I've never heard the others before... 'Winter Time' is very laid back, and reminds me of sleepy long car journeys! Not sure about 'Lady Winter', but I rather liked 'Winter Windows'.

Onederful: Not what I was expecting! Still a classic song :)

Punch: If I were to say "Awwooooo!" would you understand my meaning?! I have to have it!
I can hear great likeness with Stevie Nicks there, in terms of the emotion.
I love the idea of bring-in traditions from other parts of the counrty / world, and how there are so many similarities between many of them.

Shades: Another 'new-to-me' song ~ I like :)

David: I love the way songs work on people's imaginations :)
I know they open presents on Christmas Eve in Germany, and I read somewhere that the British Royal family still do this...
Update 6: Captain: It's never too late for a Solstice party ~ especially since someone declared it should have been on the 22nd {not actually true, as it covers about 3 days}! Yet more new songs! Lisa Thiel reminds me *very much* of Ruth Barrett, who mixes traditional songs with some 'themed' of her own.... show more Captain: It's never too late for a Solstice party ~ especially since someone declared it should have been on the 22nd {not actually true, as it covers about 3 days}!

Yet more new songs!
Lisa Thiel reminds me *very much* of Ruth Barrett, who mixes traditional songs with some 'themed' of her own.
Now, I have heard of Damn the Bard, and as well as enjoying the song I am in love with the picture on that video :) You're trying to make me spend money again, aren't you?!
My knowledge of Lindisfarne is limited to about 3 songs, so not only was that lovely to listen to, but also a great one to end on.

All of you have made it so hard for me to choose a 'Best Answer', and I really wish I could give several BAs plus bonus points for other answers. I need to think...