Capacitors question regarding power supplies?

In the output stage of a power supply what would changing one electrolytic capacitor for a different value do. I have a D-Link DSL-2640B wireless router that stoped working and after taking the lid off of the power supply I see one of the electrolytic capacitors right next to the outlet cables has blown, it is a... show more In the output stage of a power supply what would changing one electrolytic capacitor for a different value do. I have a D-Link DSL-2640B wireless router that stoped working and after taking the lid off of the power supply I see one of the electrolytic capacitors right next to the outlet cables has blown, it is a 300uf electrolytic, and I was wondering if I don't have a spare 300uf in my junk pile what will it alter if I replace it with the next nearest capacitor I can find give or take a few Uf
Update: the power supply still throws out the correct amount of voltage and powers the router, however the blown cap seems to control the ampage as the suply is giving out 0 amps and making the router not go into the ready state in other words the power light on the router is not changing to green and is staying RED