Why do people consider Jehovah's Witnesses a brainwashed cult?

I have been a going to meetings of Jahovah's Witnesses since I was a baby, and now after all these years I really wonder, why do people think we are a brainwashed cult?

First of all, we are not a cult. A cult is a group who follows one person, their human leader. We do not fallow a human leader, we follow God and God's word the Bible. Our Elders guide us, they never lead us. They don't give talks about what they think, they give talks about God and Jesus.

If we are a cult, then so is all the other religions.

As for being brainwashed... That's just hogwash. Simply hogwash. That is the most crazy thing I've ever heard. We aren't brainwashed. I have no idea why people think that. We have free will. We aren't forced to do anything. If we miss a meeting for some reason, we aren't looked down apon by others. If we can't go out in service for some reason, we aren't put down. Many Witnesses I know watch TV, enjoy music, play video games, go to the movies. Granted, we don't go out and buy the newest M rated game or go to a violence filled R rated movie, but what we do watch and play, we aren't forced not to do it by any means.

How could Jesus be God? Jesus prays to God, it is said he is the Son of God, it never says he is God.

I know what the Ten Commandments are, and I don't think I'll become a God.

I've come to notice that there are many rude people on this site.

I really don't understand why we are considered a cult. We follow the same God normal Christans do, we also read the Bible. Why are we a "cult" and not them?

We do not disagree with higher learning. School is important. We just think that life should be more simple, and not spending years in college. Personally, I plan to go to a nearby tech school.

Exactly, NMB. Honestly, I don't view us as a cult, but even so, if others consider us a cult, their religion is a cult as well. Technically speaking.

• NMB

It's because the term "cult" is being misused.

If one were to check the definition of "cult" they would see that every religious group falls under the heading of "cult"

Cult has been warped to mean something else the days.

The derogatory slang use of the word "cult" is not practiced in academic studies of religion, and originates with bigoted prejudice.

It would never occur to religious bigots that their bigotry fulfills prophecy, but they can't help fulfilling prophecy, any more than some racist bigots can help joining the KKK:

"Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers*, walking after their own lusts," - 2 Peter 3:3 (KJV) (*"...ridiculers with their ridicule...", NWT)

"People will be selfish and love money. They will brag, be arrogant, and use abusive language. They will curse their parents, show no gratitude, have no respect for what is holy," - 2 Timothy 3:2 (GOD'S WORD® Translation)

To people who are truly educated about religion, the word "cult", means "veneration" or "religious practice"; an appropriate description of Christian worship, that needs not be taken as an insult.

But it does seem you folks resist higher education when I am convinced you are capable of attaining it. You see, God is the author of both scripture and REASON. My experience has been you seem to be taught simply to ignore any reasoning processes (closed mindset). What do you really have to lose by acquiring a BA degree including courses in philosophy? Folks with these degrees will tend to see many of your arguments as superficial. You need to compete on their level in acquiring the truth since the Bible can be interpreted in more than one way. In other words, Catholics agree with every word in scripture without exception. Scripture is also very important to them. For instance, the Father ALONE is the one and only true God despite the belief in the existence of the Trinity and Divinity of Jesus. We do not ignore or reject any scripture verses.

Source(s): Catholic

I think the main reason is the doctrine about refusing blood transfusions. I can't think of any other major religion which would ask it's followers to die in order to uphold one of their tenets.

The brainwashing idea is far fetched but it is supported by how unquestioning many JWs are towards their faith and how closed minded they can be towards other belief systems (even towards different interpretations of the Bible besides the watchtower's).

Personally I don't view JWs as a cult, I view them as a group with alot of ideas I strongly disagree with (mainly Blood Transfusions and Disfellowshipping) but I try to respect their point of view.

They say the same thing about my Church (LDS). I know there's not a huge deal of good will between our churches, but I think it's because we're both small, actively spread our message, and have beliefs that we both feel are restorations of original Christianity, and that the past 1800 or so years of Christian history have been incorrect. Also, calling something you don't understand a cult makes your refusal to discuss with as normal beings seem less rude; after all, it wouldn't matter what you say, "they're brainwashed" so there's no need to talk to them.

Ignorance in the literal sense of the word and an inability to reason on the scriptural evidence.

They really are blinded to the truth and unless Jehovah finds something "desirable" in them they will never know the truth.

But never say never; circumstances may change their attitude...by providing a consistently good example we show the benefits of living by Jehovah's standards

You are and so are the LDS. But hey this is American and you can be a member of any cult that you want to be. Matt 7:21

Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT a cult and anyone who has actually done any kind of research concerning Jehovah's Witnesses knows this. People who oppose Jehovah's Witnesses like to use the word 'cult' because this word has a general negative connotation. They are counting on people who are not familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses to simply accept this false label and then ignorantly repeat what they have been told.

The following shows how this label is completely untrue:

Cults are regarded as being small, local groups. In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses currently number over 7,ooo,ooo and can be found in almost every country of the world.

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/

The World Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses is in New York. Located there is the Governing Body, a central group of experienced elders who oversee the worldwide congregation.

Jehovah's Witnesses - Their Worldwide Organization and Work

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/good-news-...

--------------------------------------.…

Cults are also regarded as encouraging their adherents to live in groups apart from the rest of society. Many also think of cults as being secretive about their activities or having something to hide.

In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses live and work in the midst of other people. They have nothing to hide. In fact, they desire to tell anyone who is willing to listen about everything that they believe.

Their book Jehovah's Witnesses—Proclaimers of God's Kingdom correctly notes: "Jehovah's Witnesses are in no sense a secret society. Their Bible-based beliefs are fully explained in publications that are available to anyone. Additionally, they put forth special effort to invite the public to attend meetings to see and hear for themselves what takes place."

Cult members are also associated with following living human leaders.

Yet Jehovah's Witnesses do not look to any human, but rather to Jesus Christ, as their leader. Jehovah’s Witnesses follow what Jesus taught and put it into practice:

See: "Who is Jesus Christ?"

That is what it means to be a Christian. Accordingly, Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to adhere strictly to the precepts established by the first Christians.

Jehovah's Witnesses base all of their beliefs, their standards for conduct, and organizational procedures on the Bible. Their worship is a way of life, not a ritual devotion.

Rather than relying solely on hearsay and running the risk of parroting bad information, Jehovah's Witnesses encourage people to investigate this further FOR THEMSELVES. This way, one will be in a position to be properly informed as to the true faith and beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The best way to find out more about Jehovah's Witnesses via the Internet is through the pages of their official website:

Jehovah’s Witnesses—What Do They Believe?

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g20100...

Recommended Related Articles:

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a Cult?

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/are-je...

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Really a Cult? - Showing How This Label is Incorrect

http://defendingjehovahswitnesses.blogspot.com/201...

• ?

Why are you on here asking this?? JWs have it DRUMMED into them at the meetings, assemblies NOT to go on religious websites/discussion forums, for fear of apostates etc. So why are you here??

HA! You are BRAINWASHED!!

god gives them an excuse to act that way...

you know what they say...its in his will, I can ask for forgiveness....he made me this way, blah blah blah

People....its 2009. Time to stand up and take responsibilty for your actions. You have chosen to follow this god because you were taught to. Now take back the ability to think for yourself...youve been doing it all along, you just gave credit to your imaginary friend...

you know better now. there is no such thing as a god..its a delusion, all in your mind.

Source(s): www.theblackatheistnetwork.com