Why do people consider Jehovah's Witnesses a brainwashed cult?

I have been a going to meetings of Jahovah's Witnesses since I was a baby, and now after all these years I really wonder, why do people think we are a brainwashed cult? First of all, we are not a cult. A cult is a group who follows one person, their human leader. We do not fallow a human leader, we follow... show more I have been a going to meetings of Jahovah's Witnesses since I was a baby, and now after all these years I really wonder, why do people think we are a brainwashed cult?

First of all, we are not a cult. A cult is a group who follows one person, their human leader. We do not fallow a human leader, we follow God and God's word the Bible. Our Elders guide us, they never lead us. They don't give talks about what they think, they give talks about God and Jesus.

If we are a cult, then so is all the other religions.

As for being brainwashed... That's just hogwash. Simply hogwash. That is the most crazy thing I've ever heard. We aren't brainwashed. I have no idea why people think that. We have free will. We aren't forced to do anything. If we miss a meeting for some reason, we aren't looked down apon by others. If we can't go out in service for some reason, we aren't put down. Many Witnesses I know watch TV, enjoy music, play video games, go to the movies. Granted, we don't go out and buy the newest M rated game or go to a violence filled R rated movie, but what we do watch and play, we aren't forced not to do it by any means.
Update: How could Jesus be God? Jesus prays to God, it is said he is the Son of God, it never says he is God.

I know what the Ten Commandments are, and I don't think I'll become a God.
Update 2: I've come to notice that there are many rude people on this site. I really don't understand why we are considered a cult. We follow the same God normal Christans do, we also read the Bible. Why are we a "cult" and not them? We do not disagree with higher learning. School is important. We... show more I've come to notice that there are many rude people on this site.

I really don't understand why we are considered a cult. We follow the same God normal Christans do, we also read the Bible. Why are we a "cult" and not them?

We do not disagree with higher learning. School is important. We just think that life should be more simple, and not spending years in college. Personally, I plan to go to a nearby tech school.
Update 3: Exactly, NMB. Honestly, I don't view us as a cult, but even so, if others consider us a cult, their religion is a cult as well. Technically speaking.