what is the difference between PU leather and faux leather?

i want to list a jacket on sale that is a synthetic leather but not sure which best term to use either PU leather or faux leather uhmm, any difference?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • geri
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

PU leather is synthetic leather - "It is a synthetic leather where they bond polyurethane to a leather or synthetic leather bottom layer. It's often used on cheap furniture." - Y!A. Faux leather is artificial. You can look through wiki's list of types > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what is the difference between PU leather and faux leather?

i want to list a jacket on sale that is a synthetic leather but not sure which best term to use either PU leather or faux leather uhmm, any difference?

Source(s): difference pu leather faux leather: https://biturl.im/YtbZ0
  • 3 years ago

Is Pu Leather Vegan

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

PU leather is real and faux leather is false

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

PU leather is made by a certain company. If you don't know what company the leather was made by, you should call it faux

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

PU leather SMELLS (hence real), faux leather is fake

• 5 years ago

HomeMailNewsSportFinanceWeatherGamesGroupsAnswersScreenFlickrMobileMore

Yahoo UK & Ireland Answers

Search AnswersSearch Web

GAVAN AvatarGAVAN

Mail

99+

Answers Home

All Categories

Arts & Humanities

Beauty & Style

Business & Finance

Cars & Transportation

Computers & Internet

Consumer Electronics

Dining Out

Education & Reference

Entertainment & Music

Environment

Family & Relationships

Food & Drink

Games & Recreation

Health

Home & Garden

Local Businesses

News & Events

Pets

Politics & Government

Pregnancy & Parenting

Science & Mathematics

Social Science

Society & Culture

Sports

Travel

Yahoo Products

International

About

Beauty & Style > Fashion & Accessories

Next

What is 'pu leather' and is it any good for a hand bag?

Update : is shep skin better?

Best Answer

Love, Me answered 6 years ago

PU leather, aka Bycast Leather, is Reconstituted Leather (small leather scraps) or Bonded Leather that is layered with thick Polyurethane to give it a sheen like real leather. The image of such a process that comes to my mind is like gluing scraps of wood together and pack it really tight to look & feel like real wood.

Since it is synthetic material, it doesn't last as long as real leather. However, for a handbag, I personally think it is ok to use. For shoes, I wouldn't recommend it though, as shoes tend to wear out faster and Polyurethane is not a breathable material like leather.

As for sheep skin....well, within the accessories industry (bags, belts, shoes, planners, etc), they classify any animal skin (cow, calf, lamb, sheep, even pig) as "leather."

Here's a link that explains the different grades of leather:

http://www.bankhardts.com/Merchant/selec...

For handbags, it really depends on what type of look & feel you want and how much you can afford to spend. Just because certain designer brands label certain products as Sheep Skin does not necessarily warrant charging consumers an arm-and-leg price. After you read that link, go to different stores, from Wilson's Leather to expensive designer brands, close your eyes and feel with your hand the various textures of each grade you come across. Don't let the trendy colors and glossy coating fool you into paying too high of a price, as they do often use glaze to give lower-grade leather a smooth, lotion-y type of false softness. That's why I am personally wary of ordering handbags online.

Hope this helps in your decisions for future purchases.

Best Wishes.

152 Comment

Other Answers (5)Rated Highest

Ron P answered 1 month ago

Actually, viciousxromanitc, they need to use the skins that come off food animals for something useful as it would be such waste to just discard them. Humans are not going to quit eating meat, accept it.

10 Comment

Aliex answered 4 months ago

PU synthetic leather (also known as bi-cast leather, bycast leather or artificial leather, sometimes described as split leather) is a material made with asplit leather backing covered with a layer of polyurethane (hence the term PU leather) that is applied to the surface and then embossed.

Because it is only used for the backing, the leather portion of this material is generally not visible in finished goods made from Bicast. Bicast was originally made for the apparel industry for glossy shoes, and recently was adopted by the furniture industry. The resulting product has an artificially consistent texture that is easier to clean and maintain, as is the case with most plastic materials.

Source(s):

http://putell.com/index.php/news-related...

10 Comment

viciousxromantic answered 6 years ago

are you sure its not Pleather? which is fake leather and better because it doesnt kill the poor little animals

911 1 comment

Caty answered 6 years ago

i think it is leather from a cow that has been puued on!! HEHEHEHEHE

416 Comment

GAVAN answered just now Edit

It seems that there can be a lot of confusion and doubt about the term PU Leather as to what it means or what is meant by someone using it, due to that people can mean different things.

Bicast leather is an animal skin product, though not completely. It is a mix of real leather hide material and plastic based material. It is usually thought not to be as good quality or long lasting as real, full animal leather. (Though I understand there can be exceptions with high quality productions.) For people looking for real, full leather, bicast leather is not what they want, and for vegetarian minded people or those who don't want animal products, bicast leather is not suitable as it is made with animal skin.

The term PU Leather confuses things. I'd for some time taken this to be fully synthetic or "faux" leather made from polyurethane. I've heard from someone who worked in a factory producing "PU Leather", described as sold, that they made the faux leather under this name without any animal products involved.

Definitively some people say PU Leather means faux, completely synthetic leather.

However, other people (maybd more) are using the term PU leather to describe bicast leather - meaning polyurethane plus leather.

Since I heard of that, I'd heard of people differentiating between PU Leather (they meant bicast leather) and PU synthetic leather (they meant polyurethane faux leather without animal products).

However, from the other answers here, and reading around I see that some people are calling bicast leather PU synthetic leather also - meaning the synthetic PU mixed with real hide leather material!

There you go. I think it's pretty hard to tell what the term PU leather means now, or even PU synthetic leather. Both terms can mean different things to different people and different firms.

What is clear is what bicast leather means, and what faux leather means. (However don't think that you know the term 'genuine leather' has a clear meaning of 100% hide leather because some firms also call their bicast leather products 'genuine leather products' only because it contains leather, meaning they say this allows them to claim it is a genuine leather product.)

So, the only way to be certain what is meant by PU leather or PU synthetic leather is to ask the person who has it what is the make up of the leather. You can use terms bicast and complelety artificial / synthetic to help the person who has it describe things. To ask if something is 100% synthetic or man made materials with no animal products is a way to be sure. If it's not, it's bicast leather (unless the person is being reticent about describing 100% leather!)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.