People who lose faith in God......?

ok so I'm reading this book called "Night" about the holocaust and stuff and I was in a discussion with a few other people and we started to talk about religion.

during the holocaust a lot of jews lost faith in God and said he was to blame for everything. EH WRONG. God gave us free will. He didn't make the concentration camps, gas chambers, etc. The Germans did.

after people lose faith in God, who do they blame for their other problems? why didn't they blame them in the first place for the holocaust? it seems like everyone just likes blaming others.

Favorite Answer

The short answer is because it is easy to blame God. The long answer is because when people are good and faithful and then walk through He** despite their fervent prayers they can either become more hardened and loose faith in God, or they can soften and become more like God. It wasn't just the Jews, look at history. There have always been faithful people who went bad because their faith did not let them grow roots deep enough to stand extraordinary trials. The hard part about faith is lerning to believe that God loves you despite your unanswered pleas for deliverance.

Wow....

You can't be serious.

Oh gee, I don't know maybe it would be because God supposedly had the power to stop all those horrible events if he chose to do so.

So imagine that your entire family was burned to death in a furnace, while you were starved to death and made to do hard, physical labor all day, being viewed by your captors as something less than human, Oh, and you have this God, this God is all powerful, so if he was disgusted with the Nazis and how they exterminated millions of innocent people, then he should have stopped it.

So basically, they have this all knowing, all powerful God just kinda sitting there and watching while these grave injustices were committed against so many innocent people.

I would lose my faith as well.

What a horrible God to just sit back and watch something like that happen.

I would want no association with any God that would allow such terrible things.

Neither would you, I am sure.

I would really like to know what you think YOU would do in such a situation. Actually, you are really ignorant, so you probably think that you would just pray and love this God that destroyed your family, your people.

I think those kind of situations make you lose faith because in a way, it makes God seem less credible. A person might understand if God didn't interfere with daily life things like winning the football game or you car running out of gas but, if there is a God, why would he ever stand by when something as awful as the Holocaust took place. Think of God as a parent who wants their child to be independent. The parent might see their kid come home with a black eye and say, "punch him back" because they want their kid to learn values on their own and stand up for themselves. But that same parent would never stand aside to watch their child being led into a gas chamber or watch them get moved down by a machine gun. Any God that would do that, is not a God I would ever pray to.

Source(s): my brain, my heart, my soul.

when people are in stressful situations they don't know who else to blaim, it's hard to imagine for us because we've never been faced with anything that devestating but you also need to take into consideration their history. Jews everywhere, all during history have been imprisoned and looked down upon, even now people will treat them differently if they're obviously very devout.

everything they had believed in, the God they'd had faith in had let them down, everything they knew and trusted came crumbling down on them in the worst way possible, they lost their freedom, their families, i think every christian would lose faith in God at that point even if it's for a moment. i think every christian has a point in their life when they doubt God but for them it was just the tipping point. it was too much. and frankly if you've seen that much horror i can't blame them. it's hard to believe in good things when you're surrounded and overwhelmed by immense evil that seems to have power over everything.

and even after the holocaust they didn't have much left, those who survived had been torn away from their families, some people lost their children and others were stranded as orphans. and losing faith in God doesn't mean you don't believe he exists, it means you believe that he's abandoned you, which i think a lot of people have come to believe and after some of the things they've been through, you can't blame them for believing that. you can try and steer them back in the right direction, show them that's not true. but you can't force anyone to regain faith, in God or anything else.

God or a supreme being is fictitious

In reality no one made us we are not dolls made by another handler

We are just animals like any other on this planet with no laws or regulations

The reason god was made was to have hope that some one can help when no one can.

God is like a wall when you are unbalance but in reality that wall is not real is a metaphor

If you are an honest person with out any god you are an honest person

if you are an honest person so you don't go to hell you are dishonest

if you are an honest respectful person because its the right thing to do you are not religious you are a human

I don't think they should be a hell to invoke fear on the dishonest

I don't think they should be a hell to invoke fear on the evil

humans are not different than any other animal on this planet like a tiger made to kill with force

humans are made to kill with intelligence we are just that animals

ones a human is expired mother earth recycles its remains into fertilizer for the cycle of life to continue

Ones you realized this you will realized the real meaning of life

I think you are missing the point.

Most people are taught that God is a loving deity who cares about his children, all powerful, all knowing, and all caring.

When you have a scenario that is so grotesque and heart breaking, you may wonder why it is happening to you. Then you might wonder when will God stop it and then why he didn't. You might get angry at God OR you might realize there was no God to stop it in the beginning.

Lets move this to a similar scenario. If you were being robbed and a police officer just stood there and watched, wouldn't you be mad at him along with the robber? I would question his status of a cop too!

Love, If I was held against my will in a concentration camp for half a decade, starved half to death 24/7, beaten on a daily basis, ill of whatever sickness was plaguing the camp due to 0 basic medical care, being forced to hard labor when my muscle mass has been completely degenerated, and constantly being afraid of the moment the guards would come to ship me directly to the gas chambers ... well, I'd kinda' have a bit of 'doubt' too...

as humans we try to find an explanation for everything, religion is one of these ways we explain things we don't understand. the jewish in the holocaust no doubt had it hard, and some probably did ask god why this happened to them, it's like the story of daniel in the bible. but if they blame God for things that the germans are doing then they must not be as faithful as they should, for God creates the antagonist, but the protagonist creates his power and belief.

Oh boy, if only people paid attention to the scriptures, they'd see HOW Jesus NEVER EVER berated a woman, belittled them! Come on, the guy was contesting every abusive law of the religious authorities of his time. Do you really think that God intended for women to be ad vitam aeternam mistreated and humiliated by men? The same God who put a sign on Cain so that he won't be killed, even after he cursed him for killing his brother? God loves and treats every one equally. I had my issues with that whole "being submissive to your husband" part, especially having brought up in a culture where men treat women like pieces of **** and women allow them to do so because they were told that it's their role to be "subservient", oops, "submissive." However, St Paul said that both Christians, BOTH MEN AND WOMEN, have to be submissive to each other. So, I guess, you see where I am going with that. He also said that men were the head of the household (I won't even start with the cultural historical context here) JUST LIKE Jesus was the head of the church. Did Jesus see to be a despot to you? The guy who washed his disciples' feet and sometimes cooked for them? The good shepherd who is ready to move everything to find one lost sheep? That's what people, LOTS OF MEN DO NOT GET: being the chief means HAVING TONS OF RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS towards the people who are under you. You owe them not the way around. They'll be submissive to you because they know you will protect them WITHOUT abusing your power and that you're ACCOUNTABLE of the charge given to you. So DO NOT LOSE FAITH IN GOD because human beings had the audacity to pervert his words and commandments for their own benefits. God's a feminist: he wants men and women to have the same rights.

I don't believe how some people felt from what happened during WWII was about blaming others. I believe it was so horrific beyond your imagination that what happened was it crushed the human spirit and thus they say they lost faith in God. Really hard stuff can crush you. I had an uncle who was German who came to America because he married my aunt. However, he lost all of his family, everyone of his German roots, in Germany and I heard that he lost his faith in God because of that. I always felt sympathy for his experience and how painful it was for him.

It's always the same with people like you: When something good happens, it's obvious that God is responsible; and when something bad happens, it just as obvious that it is your own or someone else's fault. You can't have it both ways. Well, you can't and expect people to take you seriously, that is.

There are bad or good things where people are responsible (concentration camps or good samaritans) or that are just chance (struck by lightning or winning lottery), but it seems pretty clear that God is either not involved at all or is totally unpredicatable and uneven. Don't make yourself look foolish by attributing the good to Him and the bad to someone else, though. There is a much more sophisticated and respectable way to have faith.