People who lose faith in God......?

ok so I'm reading this book called "Night" about the holocaust and stuff and I was in a discussion with a few other people and we started to talk about religion. during the holocaust a lot of jews lost faith in God and said he was to blame for everything. EH WRONG. God gave us free will. He... show more ok so I'm reading this book called "Night" about the holocaust and stuff and I was in a discussion with a few other people and we started to talk about religion.
during the holocaust a lot of jews lost faith in God and said he was to blame for everything. EH WRONG. God gave us free will. He didn't make the concentration camps, gas chambers, etc. The Germans did.
after people lose faith in God, who do they blame for their other problems? why didn't they blame them in the first place for the holocaust? it seems like everyone just likes blaming others.