My bf has an old (dropped) domestic assault charge against him, im unsure of what 'domestic assault' is?

my boyfriend has a domestic assault charge against him (well it was dropped), he told me that he got in a fight with his ex girlfriends father and her mother hit him over the head with something and jumped on his back and he pushed her off his back, and they called the cops. I thought domestic assault was only for... show more my boyfriend has a domestic assault charge against him (well it was dropped), he told me that he got in a fight with his ex girlfriends father and her mother hit him over the head with something and jumped on his back and he pushed her off his back, and they called the cops. I thought domestic assault was only for boyfriend-girlfriend, spouse assaults, not family. especially since they didn't live in the same household. or is that domestic violence?
Update: its been 4 years ago. he found out his girlfriend was cheating and confronted her and she said 'i dont have to listen to this' and called her parents and they came over yelling & carrying on and saying crap about him and her father pushed him and he went after him and they both did damage to one another.