fix the lock on my car door?

`my key no longer works in my car door. It will lock but wont unlock, i now have to open the passenger side and crawl accross. Can i fix this without buying a whole new lock ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Try spraying some WD-40 into the lock.

Can't hurt !

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Use graphite it is made for just that it is a powder. It can not freeze and all you do is just squeeze it in to the key hole and then work it a bit. Now also take wd40 and put the little red tube on the nozzle. Role up the window and slide the red tube down the outside of the window between the glass and the rubber making sure to get it by both pieces of rubber. Spray toward the door latch then repeat on the inside of the window then let it set for a day. Then start working the in side electric door lock back a forth or the key or the inside manual lock it might take a bit but it will work. Also put some grease on the door latch mechanism. Good luck

Source(s): Experience mechanic for 15 years.
  • 1 decade ago

Depends what's wrong with it. Some locks have a ball joint to the moving part and they can pop out. All you have to do is pop them back on. Others however can have the die cast parts break then you have to replace. The only way to find out is to take the door inner off and look.

• nikkai
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes it is fixable but you have to tell more information to make the people out here able to give you the full answer and which way to repair the lock

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Take it to a body shop and have an estimate done. They will usually take the door apart and look at it. Sometimes they wont charge you. It depends on the shop.

• 1 decade ago

more than likely your key is wore down. take your car to a locksmith, he should be able to look at your key, and read the cuts out, he will then cut you a key by code (back up to spec.) cost probably no more than 20 bucks, depending on year make and model.

Source(s): locksmith 10+ yrs
  • 1 decade ago

take off the door card inside replace the loose push pull rod.

• 1 decade ago

use some alcohol and teflon spray,squirt some inside the lock ,grease the latch to make it run smooth

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.