Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians: if you prayed for a terminally ill person but they died would this prove that prayer doesn’t work?

No? You sure? Why is it then that when you guys pray for a sick person and they do get better, you think this does prove that prayer works? Can you see the intellectual dishonesty here? If you apply the same criteria for what counts as proof to both these cases, then all the times a Christian has prayed for a terminally ill person but they’ve died should prove that prayer doesn’t work, right? If you don’t think so then you can’t honestly claim that prayer works based on the rare occasions when sick people just happened to get better, ok?

I don't pray that my will be done, I pray for God's will to be done. There is no intellectual dishonesty in that. When someone I care about is terminally ill, keeping them here with me is a selfish wish when they are heaven-bound. Why do you assume how we think and how we pray?

• Lori T

You asked: Christians: if you prayed for a terminally ill person but they died would this prove that prayer doesn’t work?

No, it doesn't.

Do you understand that God will not go against a persons will? Not even in dying. God is the Healer and He always wants a person healed. However, some people do not want to be healed, some do not believe and won't receive healing; some refuse to do what they need to do to receive healing; and some have given up because they are tired of fighting the battle to stay alive. Sometimes our faith isn't there when we pray, we are doubting that healing will come and so it doesn't, because God honors faith. God is never at fault. He always answers, we just don't always receive it.

When you see a person who is bent over from scoliosis with their spin twisted, immediately stand straight up and their spine completely straightened right before your eyes when someone has just prayed for them, you don't question whether prayer works.

A person with stage 4 lung cancer has been given only a few months to live because there is nothing more that can be done for him medically. He returns to the Oncologist after being prayed for and tells his doctor the cancer has left his body. When tests are run and confirm that there is no cancer left in his body, not even the doctor questions who was responsible for it.

Two weeks ago my baby brother had an 8.5 hour surgery on the vertebrae in his neck. When my husband and I arrived he was crying and in agony. They had already given him as much morphine and other pain medication as they could but it wasn't enough. We laid hands on him and prayed for him and the pain stopped immediately. He's been through 14 surgeries and is no stranger to pain. Yet, this incident left such an impression on him that he shared it with our mother several days later.

These are just a few of the many things we have witnessed in answer to prayer recently. We see it all the time and so do many others.

Prayer does work.

Blessings

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

No? You sure? Why is it then that when you guys pray for a sick person and they do get better, you think this does prove that prayer works? Can you see the intellectual dishonesty here? If you apply the same criteria for what counts as proof to both these cases, then all the times a Christian has...

Source(s): christians prayed terminally ill person died prove prayer doesn work: https://tr.im/LeGja

so your question is...what exactly? Prayer is ALWAYS heard and answered, and at least something good always comes from it. God decides. It's not like once your a Christian everything is going to be perfect. God gives you challenges. Prayer works wonders, even if it's not always in the form you want it to be. It could heal someone, or it couldn't and it would be a blessing in disguise. For example, the death of someone could open your eyes to reality and make you more aware of things then anything else ever could. It could teach you just how valuable each life is, and just how short it is. If someone comes close to death, it could bring you a lot closer to that person than you had ever been or thought was possible. It's harder to describe than to feel, but it gives you something while taking something away. Kind of like a teacher giving his or her student a lesson. You can't learn it right any other way than that.

Desiree, I understand your question, and on the surface -- like many of your questions -- this one has a valid point, but I think it again fails in its logic.

You're implying that the simple act of prayer should be able to change things. Your view is that if someone asks something of God, he's supposed to do it for them.

God is more like a parent than Santa Claus. Kids ask their parents for things all the time. Sometimes, the kids get what they ask for. Sometimes they don't. Based upon this, would you conclude that asking a parent for something is a futile activity? Would you suggest that parents don't really exist since the requests given them aren't always answered?

No. And when something does happen after I pray for it, I don't assume my prayer "worked", but that God's will was what I happened to be praying for. You might not understand it, but that doesn't bother me... Prayer "working" doesn't mean you always get what you want. That would make the act of praying a very childish, selfish thing to do.

When we are born we all have a terminal disease. It's called life. Every bodies physical body will cease to function someday. Praying for the recovery of someone is not our decision, it's Gods. God does answer every prayer, but sometimes His answer is 'No'.

Source(s): hd

Not like that, prayer (especially when they prayed together by the righteous ones) still be heard and answered by God. But you must know that God is a mystery, and the answer of a prayer of healing the sick was the death by the very thing that is best for a sick person, not a cure because he liberated from the pain.

Because prayer is about God's will. You pray hoping that what you're praying for is God's will. It doesn't mean that prayer doesn't work. Like one poster said, God always answers, but sometimes His answer is no.

• HAYAH

@:"Christians: if you prayed for a terminally ill person but they died would this prove that prayer doesn’t work?"

MY PRAYER WOULDN'T BE KNOWN UNTIL I SEE THEM IN THE KINGDOM.

I PRAYED FOR THEIR SALVATION.