hi everyone. what is the maximum time limit for bringing a claim?

hi everyone. I loaned my car to a friend back in 2002. he damaged and abandoned it. He broke off all contact and moved out of his house. I have only just discovered where he moved to and would like to sue him in court for the money i spent putting the car right. is it too late to take him to court bearing in mind that during this time he wouldn't respond to our calls and we did't know where he was to serve a court summons on him?

ps. an insurance claim could not be made because i loaned the car to him - i could only claim if it was reported stolen.

I'm afraid you might have left it a bit too long before doing something about this. The normal time limit for this sort of claim is 6 years. By waiting 7 years I think you will find that your friend (ex-friend now, I guess) is off the hook.

What you should have done within the 6 years is take out a County Court judgement against him at his last known address. That would have kept yor claim open for recovery for ever.

It's 2 years to file a claim with your insurance company. It probably is too late but you could talk to your insurance agent and they may be able to advise you about taking him to small claims court.