For those of you who support banning handguns, why don't you talk about repealing the 2nd amendment?

I understand that there are some Americans who feel that we as a nation would be better off without handguns (and most other types of guns in general). Personally, I don't agree with that idea, but I respect it since other people also have first amendment rights as well. The question that I have for those... show more I understand that there are some Americans who feel that we as a nation would be better off without handguns (and most other types of guns in general). Personally, I don't agree with that idea, but I respect it since other people also have first amendment rights as well.

The question that I have for those of you who want to ban guns is why you don't actively oppose the 2nd amendment. Personally, I think that would make much more sense than passing a law of questionable constitutionality, making people upset about having the constitution ignored, and having the law repealed down the road by a court. Instead of simply passing laws, would it not make more sense to explain to your fellow citizens why you think the 2nd amendment is an archaic remnant from revolutionary times? Wouldn't it make more sense to explain to people why you think the 2nd amendment is a burden and a threat to American security?

Like I said, I would not support something like that since I'm a gun owner and I support the 2nd amendment. But I honestly feel that people should be more honest and open about their true feelings because it would result in a much more productive and fruitful debate. I'm eager to hear what other people have to say, especially supporters of gun control, so answer away.
Update: AE Moreira, if the liberals never wanted to completely ban handguns, then why did DC forbid its residents from owning handguns for so long?