My Xbox 360 displays black bars at the native resolution on my widescreen monitor?

Okay, so I'm running my Xbox 360 into my 22" monitor, which supports a maximum resolution of 1680x1050. However, despite setting the Xbox resolution to match that, I still get black bars. I use the computer through this monitor at the same resolution too, but do not have this problem. The Xbox in connected... show more Okay, so I'm running my Xbox 360 into my 22" monitor, which supports a maximum resolution of 1680x1050. However, despite setting the Xbox resolution to match that, I still get black bars. I use the computer through this monitor at the same resolution too, but do not have this problem. The Xbox in connected via VGA, whilst the computer is connected via DVI.

What's interesting is that I have a "fill screen" mode on my monitor. If I enable this and set the Xbox to a lower resolution, such as 1280x720, it will fill the whole screen and the picture quality is ever so slightly lower (not as much as a resolution change on a PC would cause), but I get no black bars. I'm very confused as to what is going on here, as the same settings introduce black bars at 1680x1050 - even though this is the monitor's native resolution. Is there a setting I can adjust to make 1680x1050 run with no black bars? Or would changing to the HDMI port on the monitor solve it?

Thanks for any help!
Update: Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I'm using a different cable altogether, which does not have the standard/high definition switch as it is meant for high definition. I just don't understand why it can't display fullscreen. My computer has no problems using the full screen space at the exact same... show more Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I'm using a different cable altogether, which does not have the standard/high definition switch as it is meant for high definition. I just don't understand why it can't display fullscreen. My computer has no problems using the full screen space at the exact same resolution, plus, if I set it to a lower widescreen resolution, it seems to work...