Dipsy asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

Questions about Jojoba oil? And a bit about rose-water...?

Lol, I recently asked a question about how to get good nice curls (my hair is naturally curly) and I recieved a real good answer - sort of - she seemed to know what she was going on about, but I had a few questions, I tried to figure out how to contact her on her profile, but I don't think I could.

Anyway this is what she put:

"put a tiny bit of jojoba oil on your hair especially on the ends ( it's a very fine oil, it won't make your hair greasy ) and put a silk scark or a regular towel on your hair, and let your hair dry under that : it will curl in a nice defined shiny way."

"When you wake up, spray your hair with rose-water, this is will give your hair a natural shine as well as a flowery smell and it will make your curls look loose and not rigid,"

Okay, so...

1)What exactly is Jojoba oil, sorry, I've never heard of it... :$

2) How exactly does it help make my hair curly? From what I looked up isn't it for the skin?

3) If I put a towel on my head wouldn't it make my hair flat?

4)How will rose-water make my curls look loose?

And will it stay like that?

If anyone does know I'd really appreciate it :)

• meel

Jojoba oil is a vegetal oil just like olive oil, and it's the oil that is the closest to the oil that the body naturally produces : by putting jojoba oil on your hair and skin, you can actually trick your body into thinking it doesn't need to produce more sebum ( that paradoxically leads the hair to go dry and flat on the ends and the skin to be flaky ), as it's very close to the sebum the body produces, the body absorbs jojoba oil very well, so your skin and hair don't look greasy as they would if you applied any other oil on them.

If you put a towel on your hair when it's damp, it will prevent flyways and frizzes, your hair will curl evenly. It does look a bit flat when you remove the towel, but it gets more volume some time after ; you can also run your fingers through your curls to give them more volume !

Any type of water loosens the curls, because when hair dries naturally it comes back to its natural shape ; if your hair is curly, spraying some water on it will enhance the curls when they dry, but tap and bottled water is full of chlorine and other bad things that remain on the hair and cause it to go dry and brittle, rose-water is chlorine free ( but go for genuine rose-water, not rose-flavoured waters ) ; also it's very important to spray it evenly on the hair, and not to apply it with your hands. Don't put too much of it as well, you don't want your hair to be drippy !

It will stay like that over time if you sleep on a silk pillowcase ; other fabrics aren't soft on the hair and cause the waves and curls to lose definition.

Curly and frizzy hair are the most fragile types of hair, it's very important to take care of them day AND night, hope that helps !

Hi Rcal ahe,

Jojoba oil is actually a wax that is liquid at room temperatures. The 'oil' has similar chemical make-up to the sebum oil that our skin produces naturally. In fact, it is one of the most easily absorbed vegetable oils available today. Because of this, it was soon used to produce all kinds of hair and skin care products.

The oil is wonderful for people who suffer from sensitive skin conditions, including psoriasis and eczema. It helps soften your skin and when applied to your hair will increase its shine. It is also known to help reduce wrinkles and other lines associated with ageing. In addition, it helps promote the growth of new skin cells. It even has some antibacterial qualities.

The Jojoba plant was an important and necessary discovery. It’s amazing properties help people all over the world look better, feel better about themselves and helps people who suffer from disabilitating skin conditions. If you purchase it, look for organically grown Jojoba oil and make sure it is pressed and not chemically extracted.

Jojoba oil is the oil of choice for many people suffering from a variety of hair woes. This is excellent oil for adding moisture to the hair. The reason that Jojoba is such a great choice as a hair conditioner and moisturiser is that the molecular structure of Jojoba is very similar to the natural oil that is produced by the sebaceous glands in the scalp. This natural scalp oil is known as "sebum".

It is a well-known fact that sebum is required for proper moisturising of beautiful and healthy hair. Hair that has a good moisture basis tends to be more resistant to daily damage, tangles, dryness and split ends. However, I have never hear it used for making the hair go curl.

Rose water has been a useful addition to cosmetics and cleansing formulas for many years. It can be found in perfumes and fragrant powders, facial cleansers and toners. When rose water is combined with the widely used witch hazel, it makes an effective and refreshing toner for the face. The soft scent of roses gives the toner a luxurious feel. Once again, I have not heard it being used on the hair.

Lynn

jojoba oil is derived from a plant & it's good for hair & skin :: actually anything you use on your skin: you should be able to use on your hair & vice versa :: i moisturize my hair & body with olive: coconut: sesame seed: grape seed: jojoba & almond oils or 100% shea butter =]

you can find it @ health food stores like whole foods or online :: as for the rest: i'm not sure: i guess you'll just have to try it & see! it couldn't hurt!!

also: make sure that none of the products you use on your hair & skin have any harmful additives::

http://www.lifestudio.info/harmful.htm

if you aren't sure about the toxicity of an ingredient: look it up on here::

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/