Xero X asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Japanese - what does "tennnen" usually mean?

As usual, I found this word through Japanese TV shows - at first it was subbed as "airhead" (i.e. ignorant), but now I've seen it to mean "a natural at ~" (i.e. brilliant at). Is one of these wrong, or does it depend on context?

Update:

The context of the "a natural in ~" made it clear that it was that, and not any other meaning of "natural". The exact phrase was simply "てんねんだな" with the subs reading "A complete natural."

Could the "natural" from "てんねんだな" be more like "[his amazingness is] natural [as opposed to learned]"?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Lutlam
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

OK, there's a little explaining to do here.

First off, the original meaning of "tennen" (天然 in kanji) is "natural", and the original form of "tennen" in question is: "天然ボケ ten'nen boke".

To fully understand this term, you have to know what 漫才 manzai, Japanese-style stand-up comedy, is like. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzai

As the Wikipedia says, this style of comedy is typically performed by two people: "boke" (the funny man) and "tsukkomi" (the straight man). The boke keeps behaving funny, when the tsukkomi comes in to straighten the story, both working together to make the audience laugh.

Airhead people act funny without meaning to, just like they're "natural-born boke", which is where "天然ボケ ten'nen boke" comes from. It's often shortened as "天然 ten'nen", which is what you heard.

(If you know the TV show Friends, Joey and Phoebe are pretty much the model of good tennen.)

Hope this makes sense.

Source(s): I'm Japanese.
  • 4 years ago

If you want to show your son or daughter how to learn beginning small specific phrases, working around sentences and ultimately whole youngsters' stories then Children Learning Reading from here https://tr.im/9v8Oy do just that.

With Children Learning Reading your child's reading skills progress because they work through the fundamentals centered lessons in stage one of the class, you (and your child) might be thrilled to try out your child's new discovered reading skills and the very first bonus offered with the course will allow you to complete exactly that, because it is really a eBook of reports which are essentially suitable for the amount your child will be at as they finish the first area of the course.

Children Learning Reading is the perfect plan to instruct your son or daughter how to read.

• David
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Tennen (天然) means natural as in:

この車は天然ガスで動く。

This car runs on natural gas.

彼女の髪は天然パーマだ。

Her hair is naturally curly.

It can also mean "airhead" in colloquial form :)

Edit note:

I don't possibly see how you can get "brilliant" out of 天然. Think of 天然 as meaning the opposite of artificial. You could maybe stretch it to mean someone is wise (naturally smart) rather then knowledgable (book smart) if you used it as a の-adjective to modify something like 識者 (intelligent person) I suppose. But tennen (天然) in and of itself has no meaning of brilliant, smart, anything like that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.