3 inch body lift on 98 Wrangler?

I was wondering how difficult it would be to install a 3 inch body lift on my wrangler I already have a 4 Inch suspension lift on it and was going to get the extra 3 so i could clear my new tires......I just need to know how difficult is it, do i have to modify anything and so forth.

No i'm very mechanically inclined i have just never experimented with body lifts before, How much harder would it be then the suspension lift (It was pretty easy for just me and my father)

If you're planning on adding an additional 3 inches to your existing 4" suspension lift, then you MAY run into some problems with steering angles (i.e. pitman arm to drag link, steering dampener to drag link, link pin height) and could possibly have to weld in plates to raise the affected parts. And I'm pretty sure that you might have to put in some shackle extensions (may put undo stress on the springs, and make your ride feel like garbage). I have installed lift kits and had no problems, and then installed ones that have become a total headache (I've wound up having to install longer steering shafts on a couple of Blazers, welding plates in on CJ's/Wranglers, installing longer brake hoses, adding in extensions on body wiring, excetera). It's pretty much a case by case basis. But as long as you'd be willing to modify your rig a bit (if needed), you'll be able to tuck some big meat in under the fenders.

As for the body lift itself, it's fairly easy to install, you just unbolt the 4-8 bolts that hold the body to the frame, lift each side of the Jeep body up, and slide out the factory body mount bushings, and slide in the replacement bushings that you get in the new kit. Install the new body mount bolts that you'll get in the kit with the bushings and you're done.

Source(s): ASE certified mechanic with 15+ years in the business, specializing in suspension, and a die hard 4x4 guy
  • Joe

It's not very difficult but you will need to lift the radiator and engine to compensate for the body lift. That means new mounts.The body pan will need to be cut to make shifting possible. Also, you will probably have to extend a few wires and hoses. It should not take too long.

My take on this is anything above a 1 inch body lift is a bad idea. 1 inch body lifts don't take much work at all.

1) It's dangerous: It raises your center of gravity drastically. Ever seen a Wrangler roll down a hill?

2) Again, it's dangerous: If you get into an accident, the body might actually separate from the frame.

3) It looks stupid and the work is not worth it, even if you do get clearance. Usually the only people that get these are people that show it off as a street rig.

Just my 2 cents! If you do go for it good luck and be careful.

Source(s): 1994 YJ, 1990 XJ

Each to his own on how they want to lift their Jeep. Some is personal preference, others are budget constraints. My son has a 3" lift on his 95 Wrangler. You will have to get brackets to move the radiator. You will have no other additions. The brackets allow the radiator to be lowered so it will be sitting in front of the fan. There are some drawbacks to the 3" body lift. The center of gravity will make it a little less stable when cornering.

• kwhip3

Opinion of a Mechanical engineer: You're asking for problems. They are right about the lift itself being simple but you are getting a lot of problems added in, not only of the accident hazards associated with raising the center of mass, you are also dealing with corrections to the steering linkage , the length of the drive shaft, and others previously noted, you are also dealing with a power loss. The more out of line the drive system is (the sharper the angle of the drive shaft universals) the more power loss you have. You can overcome this somewhat by realigning the angles of the axle, engine and radiator but then you deal with more direct transfer of vertical motion to the drive system, which can lead to damage when traveling over large bumps. This means installing a longer spline ( will need to calculate this based on the angle of your shaft alignment and the allowed vertical travel). Keep in mind that drive systems were specifically engineered for the suspension system by the OEM. The more you change one the more you should engineer changes to the other. Yes you see large lifts all over, but when it comes to real usage, most of them you will see being towed behind on a trailer.

Source(s): I'm a Mechanical Engineer.

you shouldn't have to modify and if so not much and if you are very mechinacly inclined you could do it yourself however it's still more difficult then a suspension lift. as your asking the question no offense i'll assume your not a mechanic and should get a shop to install for you.

• rick b

I dont like body lifts because they are a pain in the butt to install, a hassle to align the bolts, lots of wire and clearence issues. First one I did was a 1 inch kit, for me sucked 3 inches I would even touch it

Source(s): Old Mechanic

Joe is right....They suck...They don,t do anything for 4 wheeling...All they do is give you room for larger tires...You do nothing to the suspension...You,ll have the standard amount of travel in your wrangler...Save your money and go for a 4 inch suspension lift...

Source(s): 25 year 4 wheeller