Vauxhall corsa gear box trouble!!?

I have just bought a 2003 (52 plate) 1.2 vauxhall corsa from a long term family friend's daughter, our families have always been very close and he is a 100% trustworthy guy who is a mechanic himself and maintained the car to prestine condition BUT I have found that 1st and 2nd gears are almost impossible to get into to, there is a strong resistance and I have 2 use some force to push it into gear and when it does go in it clunks quite loudly from under the car- its quiet scary! I used t drive a really old ford fiesta but I never had any problems with the gearbox could it be my driving style or actually something more serious? If it is more serious what could it be and how much? I only had the car 3 days and I don't want to cause friction between our families x

It is only when I change gears it sounds like it comes from underneath the car rather than inside, its particularly tough in 2nd but the rest are absolutely fine including reverse,

Favorite Answer

last answer about gear linkage sound s good very common now the only question is does the clunking happen constantly when driving or when going over bumps or only when changing gear if its happens constantly whilst driving in 1st and 2nd then its a gbox fault if it happens over bumps or only when changing gear then it will be the linkage it may even be the case that the gearlinkage has been repaired before but a new fixing bracket which bolts on too the subframe hasnt been replaced or tightened(very common also if not done properly) properly which would give the problem youdescribe

EDIT sounds like the linkage then the rear bracket sits just too the left of your clutch pedal underneath the car and and noise will resonate through from there

Source(s): ex vauxhall tech
  • branum

Vauxhall Corsa Gearbox

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Vauxhall corsa gear box trouble!!?

I have just bought a 2003 (52 plate) 1.2 vauxhall corsa from a long term family friend's daughter, our families have always been very close and he is a 100% trustworthy guy who is a mechanic himself and maintained the car to prestine condition BUT I have found that 1st and 2nd gears are almost...

Source(s): vauxhall corsa gear box trouble: https://shortly.im/XWR4e
  • Erika

Corsa Gearbox

• John K

This is a very common problem with the corsa and is caused by wear in the gear change linkage assembly.Usually in stock from your Vauxhall dealer.There is a complete assembly £100+ or a repair kit for about half of that.Easily fitted by a competent person but torx bits are needed.Hope this helps

Source(s): Mechanic 37 years

John K has hit the nail on the head I think. Its a very common problem, easily spotted, ie, a floppiness in the gear linkages behind engine. That is assuming theres oil in the gearbox. Should be ok if it looks nice and dry underneath. Al

I'd agree, have a word with your friend. He may not even have noticed there's a problem if it has crept up on him and he's been used to it. Could be something as simple as low gearbox oil, or linkage adjustment or maybe worn synchro. As a mechanic he should be able to track it down quickly.

1

• Bonzo

Had 1 Vauxhall and WOULD NOT ENTERTAIN ANOTHER ONE EVER!!!

Ford G boxes are much better than V boxes end of but no your problem isn't the change. I'm no mechanic to answer what your problem is other than its a vauxhall :( I'm a Ford man and have been for years. To get better help from potential mech's on here enter the mileage and year of car, it may well be the Clutch???... sorry i see you stated the year...

You need a to rebuild the gearbox, ask the seller, since he is a mechanic he might be able to do it free for you, being a close family friend. Even though its quite an expensive job.

But 52 plate usually should not have a gearbox problem, are you sure you are pressing the clutch "fully down" while attempting to change the gears?

Just ask him politely if he can take a look at your car!