Vauxhall corsa gear box trouble!!?

I have just bought a 2003 (52 plate) 1.2 vauxhall corsa from a long term family friend's daughter, our families have always been very close and he is a 100% trustworthy guy who is a mechanic himself and maintained the car to prestine condition BUT I have found that 1st and 2nd gears are almost impossible to get... show more I have just bought a 2003 (52 plate) 1.2 vauxhall corsa from a long term family friend's daughter, our families have always been very close and he is a 100% trustworthy guy who is a mechanic himself and maintained the car to prestine condition BUT I have found that 1st and 2nd gears are almost impossible to get into to, there is a strong resistance and I have 2 use some force to push it into gear and when it does go in it clunks quite loudly from under the car- its quiet scary! I used t drive a really old ford fiesta but I never had any problems with the gearbox could it be my driving style or actually something more serious? If it is more serious what could it be and how much? I only had the car 3 days and I don't want to cause friction between our families x
Update: It is only when I change gears it sounds like it comes from underneath the car rather than inside, its particularly tough in 2nd but the rest are absolutely fine including reverse,